Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

Michael99b

I have the same two issues that seattym posted on July 2005. I just figured that the transmission is poorly designed. Has anyone had this problem or had it fixed?

B

bwanajim

Overall good, but painful

We just took delivery of a new LR3 and it is really a huge step forward for Land Rover. I'm pleased in every dimension except that my seats are apparently defective, as they do not have any lumbar adjustment whatsoever. This really does get painful after a while, and I find myself stuffing folded grocery bags, or whatever is available behind my back just to mitigate the pain.

Also, the front headrests cause neck pain. Great, so they will protect you from whiplash. But you get to have a neckache every day as payment.

My LR3 documentation indicates that there should be a switch for the lumbar support on the drivers seat. I assume there should be a knob for the passenger seat. But my vehicle has neither. SEs and V6s on the lot have lumbar support controls.

Manufacturing defect?

B

bwanajim

Transmission

I have also noted the tranmission "snap" when starting quickly after a stop. It's not too much of a problem for me, but it is unseemly in a $56k vehicle. I am giving it some time, since I assume perhaps that the transmission will "learn" and adjust after a while.

M

Michael99b

bywanajim....the transmission snap at start up (as described in seattym's post on 7-13-05) does not go away. My LR3 is 9 months old and has 15,000 miles on it and its done it since it was new. I find it completely annoying and potentially dangerous, since sometimes I hit the gas to get into traffic and the lag & snap leave me feeling like I'm going to be rammed.

B

bwanajim

Transmission snap is minor compared to seat discomfort

I can live with the transmission snap. But what is really annoying me is that every time I drive the LR3, I get a neckache. Two things contribute to this:

1) The new headrests protrude quite far forward
2) There is NO lumbar support control in my 2006 HSE!

That's right, a $56k vehicle with electronic gadgets out the ***** and NO LUMBAR SUPPORTS! No switch as described in the manual. Not even hand cranks on the sides of the seats. So what happens is that your back sinks into the seat and the headrests push your head forward. This is really the most uncomfortable vehicle I've ever owned. The lumbar supports would go a long way to solving this, since it would help to improve your posture, push you away from the seatback a bit, so the headrests would be less of a problem.

The dealer is doing thier best to help, but they are saying that Land Rover's response is along the lines of "that's just the way they are, deal with it..." I feel that Land Rover should make this right. After all, the test vehicle I drove had lumbar supports, the manual shows lumbar supports, and the photos on the LR website show lumbar supports. What do you think?

Unfortunately, I am going to have to dump this vehicle, with just 1000 miles on the clock, because for me it is completely undriveable, except for short around-town trips.

--jim

S

SpiceIt

Transmission

I've had the same problem with my 06 LR3. I've had it in the shop 3 times and going on the 4th. I've had the gas tank replaced per the recall, but it's still losing power once the motor heats up. You can step on the gas and jog faster than the truck will go. It also has the issue where the truck sounds like it's in low range under full load. It's becoming a hazard as I just about got rear ended trying to pull out in traffic. I'm having a talk with the General Manager about "Lemon Laws". I love the truck. I just want it right.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

flowner

Michael99b said:
bywanajim....the transmission snap at start up (as described in seattym's post on 7-13-05) does not go away. My LR3 is 9 months old and has 15,000 miles on it and its done it since it was new. I find it completely annoying and potentially dangerous, since sometimes I hit the gas to get into traffic and the lag & snap leave me feeling like I'm going to be rammed.

I think the problem is that the vehicle get confused and drops down to 1st. Somewhere in some previous post it was said the vehicle should start in 2nd. That's why it doesn't always happen

If you use command shift and start in 2nd it will not snap. Not a great solution but it helps.

I use command shift in in a rural setting. It is not too bad, but in the city it's a real hasle because sometimes you have other things to worry about and forget to shift and the next thing you engine is running 5000 rpms and burning a lot of gas.

A side not you get much better gas mileage in command shift. Not sure why the adaptavie transmission does not up shift quicker. In command mode, itt will let you shift in 6th at 38mph. In that gear at that speed you get around 25mpg. I think in automatic mode it shifts into 6 around 48mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

glfhlic

i have had the same problem with my 2005 LR3 HSE transmission. it ALWAYS snaps when you accelerate quickly after coasting through an intersection. but now i have a REAL bad problem. my steering gear, rack and pinion, failed during a low speed turn. the loss of control threw me into a metal storage container, destroying the right front of my LR3. i called land rover roadside assistance and they told me that if i thought it might be their fault, i could pay to haul the LR3 back to the dealer ( 900 miles ) and, if they agreed, they would fix it under warranty. if they didn't agree, i could haul the car back home or have them fix it at my expense. the body shop i took it to said it was definitely a bad part. land rover just said, sorry, that's our policy. i asked if they would talk to the body shop or send a mechanic but they said nope, it is our policy not to do that. by far the most uncooperative roadside service i have ever heard of. i have 9600 miles since brand new. i can't imagine that WHATEVER made it turn right could be anything other than a factory defect. anyone else ever hear of this?

R

roverdawg

Well, first off...I still LOVE my LR3. That being said. It's back at the dealer for the following: 15,000 mile service, replace fuel tank (due to recall and acceleration hiccups), engine light is on, suspension faults are back intermittently (compressor replaced six weeks ago), NAV screen flickers (being replaced), Rear Park Distance Control doesn't work on initial start-up (replacing the control unit), rattling front speaker (passenger side). whew! Must say that the dealer/service department has been GREAT (so far). Let's hope they can rectify these problems...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA