Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back up sensors are poorly designed and do not take effect for nearly 15 seconds when you start backing with the "automatic electric" parking brake engaged (a VERY dangerous situation that should be fixed).
It states as much in the manual. Release the parking brake BEFORE you put it into reverse and things work fine and as intended.

12,000 miles, no problems here. Ours goes in for the oil next week and the wife is going to have them fix an occassional leak near the front interior light. Denver Land Rover has been nothing short of fantastic in the 6 years we have dealt with them. Prompt, polite, always a decent loaner (even a new car on the lot if the rentals are out or not satisfactory (minvan) -- and they have even repaired stuff we did not know was wrong when our previous Disco was in the shop for oil changes.

D

daytomann

Wow! Its alarming to hear about these problems. We had decided to look into the LR3 a little more this weekend. We loved the way it drove and.. well...just everything about the vehicle was awesome! The LR3 toppled our other top choice in the H3. The H3 has very good and very bad points but I have not heard of many problems to speak of in my investigation so far....but the lack of visibilty and total lack of engine power from that nearly useless I-5 doesnt bid well for the H3.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of these "high end" / "high $$" SUVs are worth the trouble? Makes me want to look at the "old reliables" again. They may be boring and you may see two or three at every stop sign but at least they arent in the shop all the time.

Before we make our final decision on a LR3, I'm gonna have a good talk with the dealership about all these problems.

Nice forum guys!!

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before we make our final decision on a LR3, I'm gonna have a good talk with the dealership about all these problems.
Just remember that people don't complain about the good things -- which is to say that the most vocal group of folks are the ones with issues -- on any board, Honda, Toyota, Land Rover etc.

We have owned 2 LR's for over 5 years total and had nothing but a great experience. Only a single fault on our disco -- the MAF sensor went bad at 40k miles. Our LR3 has likewise been reliable and fantastic.

S

smiles4socal

"Just remember that people don't complain about the good things -- which is to say that the most vocal group of folks are the ones with issues -- on any board, Honda, Toyota, Land Rover etc."

That's so true. I owned an Acura TL-S prior to my LR3. The first tranny died at 25K, the second at 28K. People were screaming on that board. Honda finally owned up to a poor 3rd gear clutchpack design and warrantied the trannys for 100K but it took A LOT of gripping.

Its interesting to hear about the steering/acceleration issues. I'm going to bring them up when I go back to the dealer. These forums are wonderful.

D

dg417

LR3 - Wood trim

I am really happy with my LR3, I've had it since March. Enjoy driving it! I do notice the tranny jerking when I slow down and then hit the gas, but I see many other people have had the same problem. One thing that really disappoints me is the wood trim. I made a mistake ordering the wood trim. I think it looks cheap, like a wood colored sticker. Also very disappointed with the DVD player, it opens up every timer I hit a bump. They are replacing it for me, hopefully that won't be a problem

C

Carnut

I am new here, but I a regular on many forums, as I owe cars of many different brands. Whether it is Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc, you will find people who have problems with their cars. I needed a third row, so I traded in a 04 Cayenne turbo for the 06 LR3HSE. The Cayenne had a 100K sticker and it spent more time at the dealer than all 4 of the LX470's I had combined. There will alway be a percentage of cars will problems, someone once told me, people will tell 4 people about a good experience they had with a purchase, they will tell 25 about a bad one.

L

lmonterz

Carnut said:
I am new here, but I a regular on many forums, as I owe cars of many different brands. Whether it is Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc, you will find people who have problems with their cars. I needed a third row, so I traded in a 04 Cayenne turbo for the 06 LR3HSE. The Cayenne had a 100K sticker and it spent more time at the dealer than all 4 of the LX470's I had combined. There will alway be a percentage of cars will problems, someone once told me, people will tell 4 people about a good experience they had with a purchase, they will tell 25 about a bad one.

I AGREE with Carnut!
During my drive experience I had several cars of different brands.
All those cars had problems!!! When I changed a car and bought another one, speaking to to my friends I used to say why I made the change... and we were always talking of problems!

L

LR3_WA

20k mile list...

Taking my 2005 LR3 into the shop for a list of items at 20k...

* Exterior lights burnt out - A couple front parking lights, though this is expected as I had the shop program the day-time-driving-lights. I'll sacrifice a couple bulbs for less chance of an accident & slow drivers getting out of the left lane.

* Water leak on pass side - From reading the postings it sounds like this maybe a clogged sunroof tube. It all started after being in very cold weather 4F ???

* Oil Change - Damn thing is too fun to drive !

* AUX radio - Plug anything into the AUX input and the radio does not get the signal.

* Fuel Tank Recall - My truck is one of the chosen.

T

Tomasz

Which dealer to you go to, and what has been your experience? (I assume WA means - Washington)

R

roverdawg

Intersting tidbit re:fuel tank recall. I had my fuel tank replaced at the 15,000 service due to the recall. I had been experiencing the acceleration sputters (from a stop) i.e pressing the accelerator with nothing happening as well as the 'check engine light' being on. Once the fuel tank had been replaced the symptoms went away.....but only for about 2000 miles. Well, they're definitely back. Brought it in to the dealer here in Washington (with a long list of other problems). Told that this was a known problem and that it was related to the fuel injectors and that it was a supplier issue (seen on other makes/models as well). LRNA has recommended that the techs flush the injectors on the affected vehicles. Still in the shop as of today...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV