Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

shod

shod said:
285 miles on my car now. its raining outside and... inside. Water dripping from the front dome light... wish me luck

The saga goes on... 2 days at the dealers. Both problem 'fixed'.

I noticed I had 32 miles to empty as I was leaving the dealer (not this is not a nother MPG rant). A few blocks from home I notice I have 2 miles to empty - 30 miles worth of gas for a 14 mile trip... I dont think much of it - it is an LR3! and I fill up ($59). I park the car in the driveway and notice a strong gas smell. I look under and there is gas POURING down onto my driveway...

I call the dealer where the receptionist listens to the problem, explains curtly that service is closed for the night and promptly hangs up. I call back, get transfered around and told to call roadside.

waiting for the tow truck now, hose in hand hosing driveway down to dilute the gas. Hope my hydrangeas make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Navster83

dg417 said:
I am really happy with my LR3, I've had it since March. Enjoy driving it! I do notice the tranny jerking when I slow down and then hit the gas, but I see many other people have had the same problem. One thing that really disappoints me is the wood trim. I made a mistake ordering the wood trim. I think it looks cheap, like a wood colored sticker. Also very disappointed with the DVD player, it opens up every timer I hit a bump. They are replacing it for me, hopefully that won't be a problem

DG417, Did you get the dealer installed 9" Rosen DVD? if so, what are they going to replace, the whole kit/screen?

N

Navster83

Carnut said:
I am new here, but I a regular on many forums, as I owe cars of many different brands. Whether it is Porsche, BMW, Mercedes, etc, you will find people who have problems with their cars. I needed a third row, so I traded in a 04 Cayenne turbo for the 06 LR3HSE. The Cayenne had a 100K sticker and it spent more time at the dealer than all 4 of the LX470's I had combined. There will alway be a percentage of cars will problems, someone once told me, people will tell 4 people about a good experience they had with a purchase, they will tell 25 about a bad one.
I also agree with Carnut, I have owned an a Lexus ES and now driving an Infiniti G35 4dr and they have both had their shares of problems... problems which were common according to other forums like this one. The Lex had a bad O2 sensor (after warranty had just expired) and the Infiniti always needs new brake pads. Dealer states that it is because of my "aggressive" driving habits and that since it is a sports sedan (and has brake stoppage distance equivalent to a porche), that the pads wear easily... I think its because they use sub-par brake pads... Anyhow, I hope you all get your problems delt with in a timely manner and that my new LR3 will be in tip top shape when it arrives next week.

S

shod

shod said:
... I look under and there is gas POURING down onto my driveway...

Just got the call - bad gas tank (post recall). Wont have my LR3 back for the weekend.... lovely. I dont know even know whom to be mad at - is sevice feeding me a story after screwing up? did the original dealer mess up the recall? all i know is that in 11 days of ownership it will have spent 5 at service.

now 400 miles on odometer.

C

chicagoLR3HSE

I have had my LR3 HSE for a year now, have had numerous problems, 1.) the front driver seat had needed to be replaced 3 times now because it would rock everytime I stepped on the brakes. 2.) Ride issues with rough ridding and shaking at highway speeds, recently has resulted in a the change of the 2 front tires and now the back driver tire had gone flat because of unusuall wear either due to the dealership not alligning the tire properly or faulty tire, also even when asked to and told the tires had been rotated it was very obvious they had not, took 2 weeks to get a replacement tire @ a cost of 421.00 for 1. 3.) Suspension fault anytime I go over even the smallest speed bump and the last few times it also has begun to smell like burning rubber when these warnings come on. 4.) Low coolant light sensor keeps buring out so it always says low coolant even after 4 trips to the dealer. 5.) the gas tank recall has taken a month and a half for the dealer to get the parts in and another 2 weeks to acually make the appointment to get the truck in......... Did think I was going to look into a Range Rover Supercharged but after all this Iam seriously rethinking that option.

G

geowgray

seattym said:
We've had our loaded SE since December '04. We've put over 13K miles on it.

Love the truck and have no regrets. actually convinced 3 friends to buy one as well.

Ever since taking delivery we notice 2 annoyances with the truck.

1 - transmission jerks when coming to almost a stop and then going. You're slowing down and coming almost to a stop, but not quite (like at a stop sign), then take the foot off the brake pedal and hit the gas pedal (doesn't matter how hard or soft you step on it). The tranmission jerks. almost feels like it down shifts.
can reproduce the occurance at will. dealer has seen the problem, but has not been able to do anything about it. Since it is a minor annoyance, we'll have them look at it again at the next scheduled service.

anyone else having this problem?

2 - when the truck is running hot, like stuck in traffic on a hot day, the engine sounds like it is under full load when hitting the gas. The actual water temp gauge is reading right in the middle. we feel some power loss.
dealer "reprogrammed" the ECU and it seems better. We still experience this occasionally, but cannot reproduce it at will.
Yea the transmission issue is a bit annoying. I have an 05 LR3 SE V8. Mine does the same thing. You are correct, what’s happening is we're catching it in a middle of a shift. I think it's a bug in the shift program. ZF trannies can occasionally be a little nudgey at times as well. I drove a Porsche Cayenne which was started cold and driven off and the ZF ****** hard for at least the first one or two shifts but once warm it was smooth. The same with the Volkswagen Toureg. I think Land Rover may have one of the better shifting in almost all condition ZF's I've driven. But not to justify the problem. For a $50k plus truck I shouldn't feel a damn thing. Here is a possible remedy I've used. When you come to a position where you know it will shift hard or ****, go as easy but progressive on the accelerator pedal as you can. It seems to lessen the jerkiness. This is an issue that Land Rover is aware of as well. Perhaps they will send a updated version of the trannie ECU software to fix the problem. You know we have a rolling laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roverdawg

"...when the truck is running hot, like stuck in traffic on a hot day, the engine sounds like it is under full load when hitting the gas. The actual water temp gauge is reading right in the middle. we feel some power loss...."

I, too, had this problem frequently but it went away with the new fuel tank. I still get the occasional transmission lurch that you also described but they tell me it's not recording any faults for that. So, they'll ignore that one for now. Also having recurrent suspension faults that they've been unable to solve but I'm hoping they'll figure it out soon (compressor, connectors replaced to no avail).

G

geowgray

chicagoLR3HSE said:
I have had my LR3 HSE for a year now, have had numerous problems, 1.) the front driver seat had needed to be replaced 3 times now because it would rock everytime I stepped on the brakes. 2.) Ride issues with rough ridding and shaking at highway speeds, recently has resulted in a the change of the 2 front tires and now the back driver tire had gone flat because of unusuall wear either due to the dealership not alligning the tire properly or faulty tire, also even when asked to and told the tires had been rotated it was very obvious they had not, took 2 weeks to get a replacement tire @ a cost of 421.00 for 1. 3.) Suspension fault anytime I go over even the smallest speed bump and the last few times it also has begun to smell like burning rubber when these warnings come on. 4.) Low coolant light sensor keeps buring out so it always says low coolant even after 4 trips to the dealer. 5.) the gas tank recall has taken a month and a half for the dealer to get the parts in and another 2 weeks to acually make the appointment to get the truck in......... Did think I was going to look into a Range Rover Supercharged but after all this Iam seriously rethinking that option.
I have a 05 LR3 SE V8. I've had a number of issues as well. Don't give up. Realize this is the first year of this quirky british beast. This is my first british vehicle but I know I'll buy another. My dad always said never buy a car in it's first year. Sorry pop!

R

rmedina

engine light on

I´ve My 2006 Lr3 Hse Two Weeks Ago. Engine Light Went On At 300 Miles. Sent It To Dealer. He Cleaned The Injectors. After 20 Miles The Light Went On Again.
I Have Kept Driving The Car With Light Going On And Of Every Couple Of Hours. Dealer Tells Me To Send The Car Again.....
By The Way The Dealer Is 200 Miles Away From Where I Live. They Put The Car On A Trailer.

Any Suggestions,,,please

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rmedina, the check engine light basically means "take car to dealer and plug it into the diagnostics computer" -- the ECU has logged an error. None of us can diagnose or fix your vehicle in a forum. I hope your dealer resolves your failures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV