Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something on the LR3 doesn't work, someone complains about it under a thread titled "problems with the LR3" and THAT is what it takes to disappoint you? Interesting....Maybe you should just read "happy" threads for a while.

MountainLR3

Reaction score
Something on the LR3 doesn't work, someone complains about it under a thread titled "problems with the LR3" and THAT is what it takes to disappoint you? Interesting....Maybe you should just read "happy" threads for a while.

Unlike many, I started reading from the very 1st post. My thread judgement was overcome by just a handful of over the top complainers. Should have kept my keys to myself.

My apologies, I am a very positive and outgoing person and look forward to owning an LR3, while using it to it's fullest potential.

:beer: Cheers!

foozed

Reaction score
Unlike many, I started reading from the very 1st post. My thread judgement was overcome by just a handful of over the top complainers. Should have kept my keys to myself.

My apologies, I am a very positive and outgoing person and look forward to owning an LR3, while using it to it's fullest potential.

:beer: Cheers!

Yep same here.. at first I was hesitant to purchase one of these great cars.. but decided for myself there were more than enought positive reviews, and it seemed like there were just a bunch of ******** complainers ruining the reputation..

I've had my new lr3 for a month now and I absolutely love it.
Do the cross bars whistle on the highway? Yep. Would I get rid of the car and complain about it? HELL NO!

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Minor issues

I have an 05 SE7 with 41K miles, here are some of the issues I've had.

- Auto function of xenon lights not working (fixed under warranty)
- Rain sensing windshield inop (fixed under warranty)
- Steering wheel coming apart (fixed under warranty)
- Sunroof inop (currently in shop)
- Cruise control not able to interrupt with button on steering wheel and get "cruise control unavailable" in cold weather (below 32F)
- Power windows inop until car "warms-up" (currently in shop for repair)
- Rear hatch release inop until car "warms-up" (currently in shop for repair)
- Rear wiper inop (currently in shop)
- Driver's side pass door will open from outside even when doors are locked and alarm armed (currently in shop for repair)
- transmission surges when launching from a stop (was told it's a programing issue, currently in shop for repair)

My LR3 was built in Oct/04, so I don't know if this makes it an early 05 or not.

Funny thing about all the electrical problem is that my dealer claims that this is the only rover they have ever seen with these intermittent problems and no TSB relates. However, they were able to trace the problem to the physical wiring in the body and the solder connections. They said the connections had broken, therefore causing intermittent problems. So they have ordered all new wiring modules as well as ecms for affected parts. Hope this fixes it.

I know the list looks long, but all-in-all it's not so bad. I still wouldn't trade my LR3 for a Tahoe or hummer. Compared to my 01 Range Rover, the LR3 is worlds ahead!

bonnettoboot

Reaction score
My LR3 is three (3) years old with 53,000 on it. I have had the tires replaced at least four (4) times. I took it for the 50,000 mile check up and the day after I received a light came on saying that I was driving the car in the wrong height. Land Rover of Tinley Park told me that I had to pay $1,247.00 to get the car repaired something about the air compressor (BEATS ME I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT) but I politiely picked up my car and has been driving it every since. Keep I had NEVER seen this light prior to taking the car in for the 50,0000 mile maintenance.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the tires? they replace two (2) sets and I had to pay for two (2) sets. ALL SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!!!!

Auggie Greene
look at the Ads above the page contact the Law firm and they will help you.

ProperNice

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Thinking seriously about buying a used LR3. Most likely and 05' or 06. Just wanted to know if some of the common issues I read about in the beginning of this thread had been properly addressed by Land Rover. Issues like the transmission **** and tire wear problem.
Am I walking into a money pit buying this car? I just dont want to deal with all the headache of waiting for the dealer to figure out reoccuring problems. The truck has been out a number of years now, are the dealers getting better at servicing them?
Thanks

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire wear issue has not been addressed by LRNA. There are four problems. 1) LRNA has its head in the sand on this one. 2) the dealers will tell you its normal (which is not the same as correct!), 3) the OEM tires (Goodyear Wrangler HP's are possibly the worst tire ever made), 4) the bushings used in the LR3 are made of peanut butter, or maybe marshmallow, its hard to tell for sure, but they are soft and they wear out. The bushing wear requires you to adjust your alignment frequently and often. I do mine quarterly, and it needs it every time.

Pretty much everything else LRNA has been excellent about resolving with various service actions, TSB's, and in rare occurrences, a few recall items. You just need to run the VIN with the dealer to make sure all the items on that particular vehicle have been addressed.

More info here: http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=78

Cheers

461891361_8bg7U-XL.jpg

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bushing on the LHD D3s are indeed softer than the UK and EU based D3s. This is to accomodate the "luxury" ride that US based car buyers prefer. If you order a set of bushing from the Uk, you'll find the ride is generally different, due to the bushings actually being much stiffer. The GY HP isn't a bad tire, it's just a HORRIBLE tire for the LR3. As for dealers telling you the tire wear is normal, I can't say I've had my dealer tell me that. I think that is going to vary from dealer to dealer. I've had dealers warn me of nasty tire wear on the LR3 prior to purchasing mine. There is a TSB to address the tire wear issue, and camber alignment, but again, people are still having issues with it. I haven't seen as many issues with the MY08 D3s, so if anyone is still seeing that, it'd be nice to know. I can say that on my MY06 with non HP tires, I had zero issues with bad tire wear. I do rotate and balance every 5k though, and I do have them check alignment about twice a year, just to be sure. I've only had the truck aligned once in the past year though.... just my two cents.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so how do I get a set of UK bushings and how much are they. Has anyone had them replaces w/o warrantee cost wise.

klmn596

Reaction score
give jewelry in Valentine's Day

If your valentine loves jewelry, you can give her the jewelry that is made from real bamboo woods, cheap wow gold. You can buy the card that is made from recycled paper, instead of buying the card from Hallmark. Your girlfriend will love the card you made especially for her.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM