Prolonged engine choke operation when starting from cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Not a major issue, but wondering if easy fix?
Have noticed this winter on cold startup the revs are staying at 1,200rpm when I shift into drive resulting in a bit of a jolt as drive engages. If I blip the gas before engaging drive, revs stay at 1,200rpm instead of non-choke 600rpm. In Toronto so weather reasonably cold. Just do not recall experiencing this in winters past. Of course could sit there for a few mins to wait till choke disengages, but prefer to avoid idling re. Burning gas for no reason.
2010 LR4, V8, 100k miles

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let it warm for a minute. Elevated revs to get the cats up to temp to reduce emissions.

Lets say at elevated idle you are burning 3L/Hour. This is 0.05L/minute. $1.75 Cdn/L = $0.09 $/min. It costs you a dime.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fair comment. I am just a rabid non-idler re pollution, which is somewhat ironic I realise. It's more that I dont recall it doing this before, so was wondering if something is out of whack.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Not sure about Toronto, but here in Houston I likely put more than 9 cents of vapor to the air every time I fill it up - while vapor recovery is "required" here almost all stations have disabled it.

I look at it this way - what is the total footprint of a small amount of emissions for winter warmups, vs possible transmission damage and all the repairs (and maybe even a new vehicle).
Huge total footprint for a new vehicle....

One can get fancy, but if we assume total cost equates (kinda - more of less) with total footprint, then:
Quick and dirty, 9 cents every start, 2 start ups a day up for 6 months, that's $32.40
New transmission - lots more!
New vehicle - lots, lost more!!

So, at least in my opinion, you are not burning gas for no reason - you are burning gas to maximize vehicle life - tiny footprint now to delay that huge footprint later.

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about carbon footprint angle, but I think the concern is valid if the car is high-idling longer than it used to. I’m not sure how the system works - mine idles high for 30 seconds, and I assumed that was just timed (in which case it would not vary with temp), but maybe there is some kind of sensor.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its not high idling for much longer than that. Just seems a bit longer than previously.

Oh unrelated joyous event today. In response to my whacking the top of the steering wheel to cure an intermittant annoying buzzing (loose trim somewhere), my 13yo 150lb son decides to whack the dash above the display screen. Apparently the screens do crack!
$US280 got me a used one off ebay. Now just have to endure the radio being stuck on an obscure AM radio station for 2 weeks till it arrives :(
Better than $2k at the dealer though!

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99