Ran out of gas, now it won't start at all?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 98 4.0 Disco. It ran out of gas while it was idling in my driveway, after I put a couple gallons of gas in it I tried to start it, but it would not start. Starting fluid worked, but the engine would quickly die again. Has anybody had this problem?

Here is my first thought. After it ran out of gas I left the key in the "on" position which caused the fuel pump to keep running, without any gas running through the pump which may have caused it to burn up? It would have only been an hour or two.

Last thing, can I just instal an electric fuel pump outside of the tank so i don't have to pull the gas tank to fix the pump?

Thank You

Justin

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know about a 98, but my 95 fuel pump is exposed by pulling the carpet up in the back, no need to pull the tank. Can you hear the pump run when ignition is turned on? As others have mentioned in this forum you might have to have a second person in the back to listen for the pump. And no a pump mounted outside the tank more than likely isn't the way to go.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Push in on the shradder valve on the fuel rail to depressurize the system when someone turns the key on....

Reaction score
Ok I'm going to try that first. Is there any special timing that needs to be done? Or just turn the key and push the valve?

How far am I turning the key, just to "on"? Or all the way trying to start it?

Thank you

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just turn the key to on, as you hold the shradder valve down.... basically your bleeding the air out of the system.

This is assuming that the pump is coming on (you should be able to hear it in the trunk space for about 3 or 4 seconds after the key is in the On position.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That may or may not work cause the pump will only stay on for 3 to 4 seconds and then shut off if the engine doesn't start.
If you are unable to get it started, use a test probe to verify that 3 or 4 second power surge when the key is turned on. If you don't see it, check your fuse, if good, I would replace the fuel pump relay, which are known to fail, if nothing then you get to buy a new pump, cause yours has been fried. Make sure to replace your fuel filter cause it will be packed with junk.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV