Range Rover - loss of power / misfire ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smg3333

Reaction score
I have a 95 4.0 Range Rover and have developed a problem : the engine runs fine in tick-over and low power when on the road.

When you accelerate or the engine is under load say going up hill, there appears to be a misfire. Let your foot off the power and it runs fine again.

A friend observed it may be a slow hydraulic tappet as I do not use it very much - maybe only a couple of hundred miles a year - total mileage on it is only 84k. If you accelerate hard it seems to overcome the misfire but you can tell it is still there.

Any advice please ?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely the VSS, vehicle speed sensor, pretty common, assuming your tune is good.
Also what octane gas are you running and when did you last change your fuel filter?

Smg3333

Reaction score
Hi, after putting up with this for a while, I took it to the garage and am being told it is the camshaft that needs replacing and the whole lifters etc as well.

Could this be right, and what sort of price should I be looking at for this ?

Thanks.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible, since the cam is not made of the best metals. Depends on the shop and what cam up put in it. aluminumv8.com has some great aftermarket cams that might make your rover even a better ride.

It really depends on the shop and their hourly charges though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4