Rattling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the shocks that regulate swing on the rear hatch. Those have been known
to come loose and rattle.
+1, you should definately check this as the possible source. There is a pivot bolt in the D-pillar where the rear hatch struts attached. Make sure they are tight on both sides.

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
LAND ROVER / LR3 2005-2006

Service Bulletin Number : 501016
NHTSA Item Number : 10019761
Summary Description :
TAILGATE SUPPORT MOUNTING. RATTLE FROM THE UPPER TAILGATE AREA. *TT

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, ok. Mine was just bad struts, not rattling attachment points. interesting..

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing only difference I don't have a 7 seater. I am assuming you are referring to the high pitch metal on metal chirping.

I had the same problem. It turned out that it was coming from rear bottom tailgate, where it locks to car body. Spraying WD-40 took care of it.

mrj115

Reaction score
I had this issue on my 06 LR3. It was the rear liftgate. Greasing the contact points cured it.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 that rattles so bad I'm about to go insane. My rattles come from the rear tailgate area and are inside, I have checked the tailgate struts and they are not the cause. I have obtained instructions for removing the rear plastic trim pieces, I have taken off the interior upper tailgate pieces and the rattling has reduced by about 20%. I was surprised to see that the plastic yellow anchors that connect with the body of the D3 are loose, maybe they relax over time. My noises now appear to be coming from the lower tailgate - potentially the swing up plastic / carpet plate. I'm going to remove the lower tail gate trim next. Then I'll remove the side pieces and re-evaluate. The interior noise has been so bad that I've contemplated seling my D3. Now, I look at it like a challenge. I'm going to find the culprit(s) and reply with what I find. Give me a few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635