Rear Locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how applicable, but ARB has a rear locker listed on their product sheet.

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 11.35.27 AM.png

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, an interesting piece on Expeditionportal.com & it confirms what ARB (based in my home town of Melbourne) have told me in the past - the LR4 diff housing is too small for the air-locker & at the moment they are not working on re-engineering their unit to fit. Same story as "the even better than ARB"
Harrop E-Locker.
I'd only fit the ARB front locker IF I can eventually get a rear locker. A front locker alone can not do the job when a rear locker is seriously required - weight transferring rearwards on a tough climb.
I'm sure some engineering genius will eventually design one for the later D4's as more & more offroad enthusiasts will demand a unit as the D4 becomes more affordable second hand.
I note with interest that in one of the photos in that piece it appears that it is a Kaymar rear bar with swing wheel carrier that is fitted, not the brand as mentioned as being on order in a previous post.
I've just had a Kaymar unit fitted to allow fitting of a Brown Davis 110 litre aux. tank underneath. Both
units are brilliantly engineered & also manufactured in my home town.
A bit of trivia regarding ARB - back in the mid-1980's I worked for a bank & the branch manager (against Head Office orders!!) provided the founder of ARB (Andrew Robert Brown) with finance that kept the-then
tiny ailing business out of bankruptcy & funded an expansion that continues today worldwide. I'm glad I played a tiny part in ARB's success. Their products are always beautifully engineered. Unfortunately, they
procrastinated far too long in a redesign of the D4 - mid-2014 update bullbar, which meant in desperation I bought the just-updated Opposite Lock steel bullbar . No regrets with that though. Both brands work well on kangaroos!!

That Expeditionportal LR4 was originally built sometime in 2013. Shortly after they installed that Kaymar, Kaymar ceased having a distributor in America. Based on my 25 years or so of owning 4wd vehicles, it's actually been a pattern of Kaymar to have distribution in America, then not have it, then have it again a few years later. I like the Kaymar LR4 rear bumper, so I wish they'd be available here again.

ishapiro

Reaction score
I've tried to talk Harrop Engineering in Australia into making their brilliant rear locker for the D4 but
no luck. It seems D4's diff is too small for their E-Locker & they're not prepared to redesign a smaller
unit. I guess cost is the major factor & they think the demand would not be there for such a unit.
I'm assured by "experts in everything LR" that it is impossible to retrofit the OE factory diff lock as it
has to be programmed into the terrain system at time of manufacture. Anyone trying do do so will
basically disable the terrain control system.
With good A/T tyres & proper use of terrain system the D4 can do most everything a rear diff lock vehicle can do.

I can attest that what you had been told regarding an OE retrofit is a BS. I have done that on my MY2012: Added brand new LR locking differential, new rear half shafts, sourced a used harness, new ECU and updated CCF with my IID tool. I was inspired by a similar retrofit on a D3 documented on disco3.co.uk

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'll look into that. It doesn't sound really straightforward & I'm a bit too old & not capable to doing such a job now. But there are good LR folks over here who would be up to it.
I must admit I've never actually needed a rear diff lock, Terrain Control has always got me in & out of where I want to go.

Reaction score
WHile I am not intending to be a heavy duty offroader given where I live (NE USA) I am interested in having the security of a rear locker for some rutted out driving, a road trip I plan to do out west next year (Colorado and Utah with moderate offroading intentions), and sand driving on local beaches. I have a 2015 LR4 HSE without HD package. I have done some with just the stock wheels and no lift and been happy with 4WD performance thus far (2-3' swells, a little wheel lift, a couple steep hills, etc.) Does anyone know of or have installed an OEM locker without the HD package? Will Land Rover dealers do this? And if not OEM to fully integrate the electronics, is there a locker out there that can more seamlessly integrate with the traction control system?

Separately, has anyone ever retrofitted a 2 speed transfer case into an LR4 to provide an HD package that was not factory installed? More curious than interested in doing so.

I am generally with those on this forum that believe good tires, some added lift (Johnson rods!), and conscious driving with informed use of hte traction control options will get me through 95% of the driving I want to do. Max Trax and maybe a winch for another 4%. I would be concerned though with long stretches of uphill rocky terrrain that would put undue strain on the single gear transfer case.

Has anyone out there with out the HD package in a D4 or LR4 V6 actually blown out their Tx gear, or gotten unduly stuck in other ways and what kind of conditions were you driving in?

Thanks very much in advance for more info for me to consider in making some mods to my vehicle.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a '15 without the HD package, your best bet is to sell it and get an LR4 that has it. You're also short a low-range center diff, along with no rear elocker.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHile I am not intending to be a heavy duty offroader given where I live (NE USA) I am interested in having the security of a rear locker for some rutted out driving, a road trip I plan to do out west next year (Colorado and Utah with moderate offroading intentions), and sand driving on local beaches. I have a 2015 LR4 HSE without HD package. I have done some with just the stock wheels and no lift and been happy with 4WD performance thus far (2-3' swells, a little wheel lift, a couple steep hills, etc.) Does anyone know of or have installed an OEM locker without the HD package? Will Land Rover dealers do this? And if not OEM to fully integrate the electronics, is there a locker out there that can more seamlessly integrate with the traction control system?

Separately, has anyone ever retrofitted a 2 speed transfer case into an LR4 to provide an HD package that was not factory installed? More curious than interested in doing so.

I am generally with those on this forum that believe good tires, some added lift (Johnson rods!), and conscious driving with informed use of hte traction control options will get me through 95% of the driving I want to do. Max Trax and maybe a winch for another 4%. I would be concerned though with long stretches of uphill rocky terrrain that would put undue strain on the single gear transfer case.

Has anyone out there with out the HD package in a D4 or LR4 V6 actually blown out their Tx gear, or gotten unduly stuck in other ways and what kind of conditions were you driving in?

Thanks very much in advance for more info for me to consider in making some mods to my vehicle.

I've been to enough owner's event to confidently tell you that your single speed non rear locker is more than sufficient for "moderate" off-roading. Invest in some tredpros...I like them better than maxtrax, I've owned both. But if you absolutely feel you need the low gear and rear locker, then I'm with @ryanjl ...sell it and locate one that came with the HD package from the get go. The rear ARB locker doesn't work properly with the newer LR4s and you'll spend a fortune swapping out your gearbox and would also need a new or remapped ECU.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theoretically, I don't think you would have an issue integrating a rear locker into the traction control system.

The system attempts to use the brakes to direct power away from a wheel that is spinning to one that is not. It does this by seeing a differential in speed between wheels, and brakes the faster spinning wheel to direct more power to the slower spinning wheel.

With it locked up, it should see both tires on an axle spinning at the same rate and stay out of the way.

That said, I agree with the other guys. If you want it, probably much easier and cheaper to sell the one you have and replace it with one so equipped from the factory.

Reaction score
Thanks for the views. I think I will enjoy what I have for now and keep that in mind for down the line. I may still look for a rear locker option, but I am getting the sense it is not easy to integrate and not so many options.

ishapiro

Reaction score
I think I have posted here couple times on this topic in the past already.
I have actually upgraded my 2012 LR4 with the original brand new landrover locking rear diff. For that I sourced:

1) rear e-diff
2)HD rear drive shafts (not a must)
3) ECU
4)used harness from RRS or LR3/LR4 with a locker.
5)IIDtool to update the CCF
6) 5 hours on the hoist at the local LR dealership

Everything except the infortainment works as expected.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72