Rear Seat DVD System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question:

I bought my 05 LR3 used and it does not have the flip down DVD player. I am thinking about either having the dealer install, or buying it and installing it myself.

Has anyone installed either the LR DVD player or similar?

txAlfa

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this too. I have been looking at aftermarket products, which range quite a bit in price, but I would like to integrate the system as much as I can with the LR systems. Has anyone done this before? Any part numbers for the "entertainment system" controllers?

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
exactly. hoping to integrate it with the LR speakers, etc. I think best way to do that is with the OEM DVD system, but I'm not sure.

Anyone with experinece here?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm putting in headrest screens next weekend; I've chosen a system with DVD players in each headrest along with you aux in/out's so that 2 seperate DVDs can be watched, or one headrest display movies on both. The system comes /w IR headphones and a transmitter built in to the LCD so that the rear passengers can listen two their own movie while I'm driving. I'll tap the aux-in below the center armrest console to run audio to the vehicle, as heaviest "user" for the system will be my two year old on long trips, and we don't currently let her use her own headphones.

In order to view the system from the front seats (for control purposes), I'll be using the display from an aftermarket NAV system (probably the Pioneer Linc (Avic F500BT in the US), though I'm waiting until a local retailer has one of these system to play with before buying. The only downside that I can see, is that front control must be done via a remote control. I had considered wiring a DVD player into the upper glove box or center armrest area or retrofitting something into the NAV area, but none of these options appealed that much to me.

If you want a fuller integration, it's certainly possible, but takes a bit more effort. If you check the Freelander section of this board I did a very brief write up on the system I had put in that vehicle - basically 2 headrest LCDs and a full replacement of the headunit (with a bluetooth upgrade) that provided full steering wheel integrated control of the entire system. Installation of stereo equipment certainly isn't my primary business (I'm just a tinkerer), but I find it pretty easy to get better results than factory options, if you move slow and plan things out.

I've looked at the OEM system and just wasn't very impressed - this is probably more due to the location of the system (ceiling drop down systems have always been a pet peeve for safety reasons) then actual functionality, but really, the skies the limit.

Feel free to ask questions and I can try to help as best I can,

Cheers,

gtc

txAlfa

Reaction score
I would actually prefer headrest displays for the same reason, but i wasn't sure that it would be easy to find some that fit right with our headrest handles. Which system are you getting, it sounds like it has most if not all of the features I am looking for. We have a second kid on the way, so I'm liking the idea of each being able to watch their own.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
txAlfa - from what I've read over on the disco.co.uk forums, the headrest handles actually come off. I'm going to try to take them off, then remount them into the new set of headrests. If it end's up not working or looking crappy, I'll probably try disassembly the current factory headrests (probably something I'll screw up, but it's fun to learn!).

The system I'm getting is listed here:

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_you_need/special/HR-907.html

I've used headrests from this company with my last 'rover and was happy with the result. The key (I think) was getting a better resolution then most aftermarket screens - in this case these headrests are 640x480 (probably actually 800x480 due to the widescreen nature - our last one from this company was 800x480), where most are only have 900x234 lines of resolution. Granted, your still feeding a composite source, if it's coming from an external player, but it seemed clearer then others I had used.

The other thing that I liked about this system is that the screens have zip up covers to hide them away. It's a nice security feature, but more importantly (to me) is that I don't like getting my daughter into the habit of watching TV in the car all the time (a bit of "out of sight, out of mind").

Here's a quick pro/con list that I did up when selecting this particular system:

Pros:
Good video resolution (640x480 or 800x480)
Integrated IR headphones
Integrated DVD (handy to have)
USB/SD player
Zipper to hide screen
Integrated TV tuner

Cons:
- Unsure of factory fit/matching (color/sizing)
- Awkward control from the front seats (remote only - though steering wheel integration available via a PAC-SWIX), but then a video screen would be required.
- TV Tuner is probably crappy!

I'm also unsure about default power states - our last set of screens had a default "on" setting for power, but I wanted the default to be off. My work around was to wire some switches into the center armrest console to cut the picture/power in our last vehicle - I'll probably due the same with the LR3.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will you post install details with pictures later, please? Interesting, and makes me wish I had black interior for matching.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will definitely snap and post a few pictures. BTW, I too have the tan interior - my last set matched the tan interior of my Freelander pretty closely - I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

txAlfa

Reaction score
gtc, this looks like a pretty nice setup. My biggest concern is what to do about those headrest handles. You mentioned that you had replaced some on another rover? How big were the screens? I'm just (probably over-) thinking that the replacement headrests are going to be so wide that they will looked squished at the top where the handles come in. I haven't measured, but it only looks to be 5-6 inches between the tops of the handles and with a 9" diagonal 16:9 screen, I gotta believe the replacement will be close to 9 inches wide. Depending on the internal structure of the replacements, maybe the cutting the appropriate size opening will allow the handles to just stick farther in?

Have you already placed your order? I'm thinking about calling them and seeing if they will provide the dimensions. It sounds like you have messed with this before, what do you think?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
txAlfa - yes, I'm looking at having to cut into the headrest to remount the handles; I'm thinking that some sort of bar may have to be inserted between the two handles in order to provide the proper rigidity (just speculating as to the construction of the factory headrests). A 9" diagonal screen should be a little less then 8" wide, if it's 16x9 (if my Pythagoras serves me correctly) - however, I doubt it's actually 16x9 - these companies play pretty fast and loose with the sizes! Drop 'em an e-mail, and they'll probably be able to give you the dimensions of the headrest itself - which is what is a bit more important - I've e-mailed them in the past and have always received replies; most not extremely helpful, but I have been able to get dimensions for various parts.

Of course if the color doesn't match up nicely, I'll probably have to look at trying to use the units in the existing LR3 headrests (which may or may not fit)....

And, yes, I have ordered already (yesterday); I'm located in Canada so I should receive the headrests Tuesday or Wednesday; if you haven't heard from them, I'll measure everything up for you. Irregardless of the sizing, it's the solution that I figure will meet our needs right now, so I'm rolling the dice!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM