Rear Seat DVD System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually yes! I just haven't gotten around to doing a write up (life intervening again!). A few very quick points:

1) I did the install on the Jan 1st - it was actually a super easy, and required no specialized tools other then an old coat hanger to fish the wires through the seat backs.

2) The only "tough" part was cutting the side of the headrests in order to refit the grab handles.

3) Even without the attachment points within the headrests, I can still grab the grab handles and rock the truck - so I'm not worried about any weakness.

4) I'm not super happy with the location of the headrests (though I think they can be "fixed") - they sit to far back (away from your head). I had gotten used to having the head rests close to the back of my head, and am now a little concerned what might happen in a rear end collision. Of course, many people will probably like this positioning a lot better then stock.

5) The color match is really pretty good for the alpaca; not exact match, but no one has noticed, and I probably won't try to dye them any closer, as was my original intention. The most obvious visible difference is when looking under a camera flash! Without a flash it's tough to tell the difference.

6) I took a couple of dozen pictures during the install and a few comparison shots of the replacement headrests vs. OEM from various angles so that you can see the difference.

I'll post a proper write up (hopefully this weekend) when I have a bit more time.

gtc

phurley

Reaction score
Rogo (the OP),

Did you still want install info on the OEM DVD?

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he does, but I'd like it!

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually did get it and I installed it myself. Saved about $600 in labor and it only took me a total of about 2 hours. Its amazing how easy it was.

I didn't try to find it anywhere but the stealer, but it cost me about $1800 total.

The unit itself is all self-contained attached to the roof. There are bolt holes ready to accept the mounting bracket already in the roof.

Had to remove the rear HVAC control panel/light cluster and cut into the headliner (no turning back at that point!). Hardest part was feeding the wires from the hole in the headliner to the front driver ** correction - passenger side ** side A-pillar.

It does pretty much block the rear-view mirror, but #1 we only use it on long trips and #2 I am somewhat used to that since I tow a camper.

Kids love the large screen, and my son has mastered the included video games already!

I haven't tried playing sound thru the aux input, but don't plan to really ever use that feature.

I am very pleased with this setup.

aleby

Reaction score
rear dvd entertainment

Hello
Maybe have a look at the ones i had installed,they are very good quality at a very good price all wireless headphones & wireless game controllers also with FM transfitters

Regards

Albey

Attachments

• DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 77

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to retrofit factory rear entertainment system? Not the roof mounted one but the OEM type with dual screen and DVD changer in the back. Buying those parts from dealer will run in several grands but used parts can be sourced reasonably. I think I can buy all parts needed (new/used) for well under $2500 that the dealer would have charged if the car came with one from the factory.

Does anyone know if this can't be done or already done? and details?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to retrofit factory rear entertainment system? Not the roof mounted one but the OEM type with dual screen and DVD changer in the back. Buying those parts from dealer will run in several grands but used parts can be sourced reasonably. I think I can buy all parts needed (new/used) for well under $2500 that the dealer would have charged if the car came with one from the factory.

Does anyone know if this can't be done or already done? and details?

Check eBay; the headrests from either the LR2 or RRS should match fairly closely; I've seen them go up occasionally...

-GTC

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM