Rear Seat DVD System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a shame! I was hoping to to hear how it went so I could make a decision in time for a Christmas surprise gift. Unfortunately the same place never returned my email and I keep forgetting to call during business hours to see if they will give me dimensions.

Quick update - I called yesterday about the 7" version (identical, save for the size), got the measurements (their on the site) and took a tape measure out the truck; looks like they'll fit pretty well and the store said they were in stock. There's a link to $10 off each 7" headrests, and a 10% of your entire order coupon so I had them overnight the package to me via DHL (they claimed that if I ordered right away on Thursday morning, I'd have it by dinner on Friday). I'm hoping it'll arrive this aft....

Will keep you posted!

txAlfa

Reaction score
based on the site (and if i converted mm right) I'm showing the headrests are roughly
11 x 8.5 x 5.5 inches. I'm guessing the 11 is the width (door to door) and 8.5 is the height. I'm real interested to see how it fits. Good luck and post some pics when you get a chance!

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update: received the 7" LCD headrests tonight - I paid for overnight last Thursday and was hoping to have them for Friday so that I could install this past weekend, but that obviously didn't work out (I spoke with the a lady from the company on Thursday who assured me I'd receive the screens on Friday). Tracking back the shipping, it seems that they didn't ship them until Monday (after I called them), and they didn't overnight 'em either - just regular post. I'm obviously not very impressed with the service, but the screens look and headrests look quite good and the price is certainly cheap (~ $300 USD shipped for 2 7" LCDs /w integrated DVD/SD/USB/TV and zip up shrouds).

In any event, the color match looks pretty good for the Alpaca interior (though I don't have any natural light, so I'll need to check tomorrow). I've pulled off one of the "arms" of attached to the factory headrest - pretty easy to uninstall (ie less then 60 seconds). Underneath the factory headrest are clips to raise and lower the headrest (just like the rear seats) - the clips are hidden beneath the leather, so they aren't as obvious, but they are definitely there (I found the removal info on Disco3.co.uk).

I'm heading out on a ~800 mile round trip tomorrow (back this weekend), which is when I was hoping to test out the headrests, but that doesn't look very likely anymore as I'll probably end up working tomorrow morning, and really need to dedicate a good 5-6 hours to do this correclty (mainly lining up the cuts into the new headrests for the factory "arms"). If I get a chance, I may do them next week, but it's more likely a job for when I return to Canada around the end of the month...

Will be sure to post pics!

PS - here's the uninstall process for the factory headrests:
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic8723.html?highlight=headrest
(see 4th post down).

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when checking the install process the head rest is adjustable up and down?
I love the idea of turning it around that would make IT A TON MORE COMFORTABLE

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when checking the install process the head rest is adjustable up and down?
I love the idea of turning it around that would make IT A TON MORE COMFORTABLE

It is adjustable up and down - if you check out the gallery of a user called "Mounty" on Disco3 you can see his adjusted up 4 or 5 inches. This does require some modification to your headrests and grab bars. The grab bars are held in place on the shoulder of the seat with a bolt and are inserted into a square tube in the side of the headrest itself (much like the actual arms that hold the headrest in place). Sorry, not a great description, but the tubes that come out of the grab bars and into the headrest will need to be cut (thus weakening the grab bars) in order to refit them after raising the headrest. This also leaves you with a hole in the side of the headrest that would need to be recovered by a shop...

I'll be sure to take some pics, to make this explanation a bit more obvious....

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you pull it completly out and turn it around? Then flip the grab bars and leave it fixed again?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you pull it completly out and turn it around? Then flip the grab bars and leave it fixed again?

According to the folks on Disco3 this is possible. The only concern that i'd have is that the entry point for the grab bars wouldn't line up exactly with the headrest backwards; you can probably tell simply by looking at the headrests from the side to see if theres a nice centerline for both the poles and the grab bars. Alternatively, if you can wait until the end of the month (and if I can remember!), I'll try to install one backwards before putting in my replacement headrests and let you know for sure.

txAlfa

Reaction score
gtc, Have you had a chance to see if the electronics in the dvd headrests leave enough space behind them for the grab bars to stick in behind them? I know you may not have had a chance to do a true fit, but just wondering if everything looks like it will work pretty well, or are you thinking it will be pretty tight?

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
txAlfa - I've just done a quick "feel test" - it appears that the screen & dvd player take up close to half of the headrest width towards the top were the grab bars get inserted (remember I'm working with the 7", not the 9" as was the original intention). I'll need to actually cut into them to determine how much space is really available; if it's too tight, I'll simply cut away at the top of the grab bars - weakening the bars themselves, but based on how their constructed, they're just wedged into a receptor in the OEM headrests, not bolted (the bolt is into the seat back, which will remain) - again, actual pictures will make this a bit more obvious....

I had also considered fabricating a bar that runs inside the headrest and joins the grab handles, but I think that this might pose a safety issue in an accident, in that there wouldn't be enough padding between the occupants head and the bar due to the space required for the DVD player/LCD mechanism.

I did note that a few users in the UK have cut the top support from the grab handles and claim that they still function properly as handles; I'm not sure I'd want a full size adult using them to help themselves into the vehicle, but it should be fine for kids.

txAlfa

Reaction score
Hey gtc, any luck with the headrests? Would love to see some pics and hear how it went!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM