Recovery: D-Rings or soft shackles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bonz

Reaction score
I'm starting to put together some recovery items. Went to a local place today looking for some rings, but all they had was 4.75ton rings. I think I read a post by nwoods saying you need a 16,000lb ring. But in a 3/4 inch, i couldn't find one.

In my limited research, I came across the soft shackle. Saw a post here (I think) by someone that said they wouldn't use metal ever again. And it makes sense in my amateur eyes.

Can anyone provide a little,more beta on this subject?

As an aside, I plan to take a 4x4 class later this spring. But would like to have some basic gear before that time.

Thanks

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4.75/tons capacity should be more than enough for even the trickiest of ****** recoveries, at least among vehicles in the LR3's weight class "neighborhood". I assume that most of us here use 3/4" D-rings with such a rating because they are inexpensive, they work and are easy to find. Soft shackles sound great on paper, safe, light, strong and easy to store. My only worry would b, will they be durable after, possibly, years of storage in a dirty recovery gear bag?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9