Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most reliable car i ever owned was a 93 lincoln mark 8. Got below average reviews in about every consumer reports category. Got smacked in 2001 by a minivan at 165000 miles and the insurance adjust was surprised that it looked so good for its age. I was surprised that he wrote down 65000 on the report. Kept it from being totalled for sure. I kept the repair check and sold the car for 1200 to some Russian speaking body shop owner.

Back on point the CR system is just too broad to be taken as gospel. Any car is a roll of the dice, you might as well find one that excites you and take the plunge.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most reliable car i ever owned was a 93 lincoln mark 8. Got below average reviews in about every consumer reports category. Got smacked in 2001 by a minivan at 165000 miles and the insurance adjust was surprised that it looked so good for its age. I was surprised that he wrote down 65000 on the report. Kept it from being totalled for sure. I kept the repair check and sold the car for 1200 to some Russian speaking body shop owner.

Back on point the CR system is just too broad to be taken as gospel. Any car is a roll of the dice, you might as well find one that excites you and take the plunge.

Well put....

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good link bscmich. Anyone who thinks that ANY survey is unbiased doesn't understand statistics. There is bias in the number of responses, and the mix of people who respond (people with problems want to be heard more that people without problems), and the criteria used to compare one set of responses to another have to be based on the surveyor's bias.

I used to subscribe to a really expensive software evaluation service. It was so expensive because they listed all of their criteria and the weight that they gave that criteria. A similar service for cars might say "Fuel Economy Weight 12", "Ability to climb a snow-packed hill Weight 2". That was useful because I could apply my own weights to the data and come up with a comparison that worked for me. CR keeps their criteria and weighting very confidential and I've never seen one of their comparisons that had data on something I was knowledgeable on that I agreed with. Consequently, I rate CR rankings as somewhere below "Muckraking".

David

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If 3 years from now Toyota isnt at the bottom we will know that the system is flawed. Hasnt like every single one of their cars been subject to numerous recalls and in some cases, injured or killed people because a problem that they still haven't solved?

Geotrash

Reaction score
Bogus data. JD Power "surveys" are funded by manufacturers. Consumer Reports surveys are funded by buyers. Which do you trust more as a buyer? :)

And it is treating you well, or have you had some problems? Or are you just a troll.
Not sure why you're asking. Someone asked what year my LR3 is in an earlier post and I'd forgotten to answer in my reply. So I simply added it in a new post. Would've probably made more sense if it hadn't been the first post of a new page but oh well.

Dave

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is that Geotrash is a troll.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you're asking. Someone asked what year my LR3 is in an earlier post and I'd forgotten to answer in my reply. So I simply added it in a new post. Would've probably made more sense if it hadn't been the first post of a new page but oh well.

Dave

Sorry to sound judgemental Dave, just understand that we get a few posters who
are giving us "expert" advice about our LR3's without knowing what they are talking
about, or even owning a LR. Try posting a pic of your rig on the "Obligitory show
off your rig thread" so people can take you seriously.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99