Replaced Front Break Pads Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our LR4 has 39,897 on the odometer, and I just replaced the front pads for the first time since new. We bought the car May 31, 2011 with 12 miles on it, and it is our dailly commute vehicle between Salt Lake City and Park City, UT.

I keep hearing stories of excessive front pad wear, but I did not experience it. I have attached two pics: 1) outer pad (top) versus the new pad (bottom), and 2) inner pad (top) versus the new pad (bottom). (Sorry - cell phone pics). We hadn't tripped the pad sensor, but the pedal was starting to get a bit "spongy".

The DIY was real easy - no different than on the LR3. I used an 10" C-clamp (Home Depot) and a block of wood to push back the dual pistons. That took some finesse. To remove the bolts to take off the calipers, I used a 13mm ratchet, and held the corresponding nut in place with a 15mm wrench. Other than that, not bad at all.... I was even able to re-use the pad sensor, saving $35!

Other things I learned:
*Land Rover has changed the SKU of the front brake pads as (supposedly) they have gone to a new compound. SKU #: LR032063G.
*Front OEM Pads (dealer price) = $187.22 + tax.
*Torque for Lugs (google search) = 103 ft-lbs.

We love our LR4!

-B :)

Attachments

• IMG-20120821-00058.jpg
    IMG-20120821-00058.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG-20120821-00059.jpg
    IMG-20120821-00059.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might help:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/clamps/xp600-one-handed-bar-clamps-spreaders

for pushing the pistons back. Works as described, one handed with some power so you can hold the caliper assembly while doing it.

How are your rotors? I had the rear brake TSB redone last week by the dealer because I still had squeling and they said that the rotors generally need to be replaced with the brake pads. I obviously question that but went with it since they mentioned that my current rotors were starting to show a lip(whatever that means). This lip on the rotors was making my new brake pads that were put on during the initial fix last feb squel even worse. Anyway, after they replaced my rotors, my braking felt firmer than before and the squel was gone from the rear. My fronts still have about 6mm but apparently the rotors on it are also lipping but no squeling has occurred.

Given my experience, I plan to replace both the front pads and rotors when the pads need replacement. I'm at 31k for my 2010 so my brake wear has been pretty good too.

Thanks for the write up!

Last edited:

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might help:
http://www.irwin.com/tools/clamps/xp600-one-handed-bar-clamps-spreaders

for pushing the pistons back. Works as described, one handed with some power so you can hold the caliper assembly while doing it.

Great call! That will certainly make it quicker than trying to rotate a C-clamp while holding up the calipers...

How are your rotors?

Rotors look fine, though did had some wear. I have been unable to confirm the max/min mearurements for the LR4 rotors, but recall the LR3 rotors are 30mm when new, with a recommended replacement at 27mm. Unfortunately, I did not have my micrometer with me when I replaced these pads. When it is time to replace the rears, I'll measure all four rotors. No squeeks though!

-B

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM