RG&B Soft Shackle review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realize I've let myself continue to be sucked in to a silly discussion, as illustrated here: http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?20569-RG-amp-B-Soft-Shackle-review&p=185230#post185230
I apologize to the forums for that.

Justin, you accuse me of posting BS, yet in all your writing you haven't provided any evidence that anything I've actually said is incorrect. You did try to show I was wrong on the effects of the D/d ratio, but you haven't stated what the pin diameter was in the original test so there's no way to know. Given a 16mm test specimen diameter I'd say I was pretty close. If data is provided showing I was wrong I'll be happy, as always, to retract what I said.

Your entire premise is that synthetic shackles should be rated at a lower design factor than steel shackles because one is made from synthetic material and one is made from steel.
My premise is that they should be held to the same design factor standard because they are both shackles.

By your logic synthetic slings and wire rope slings should be held to different design factors because one is steel and the other is synthetic.
By my logic slings made from synthetic material and those made from steel should be held to the same design factor standard.

You might be interested to know steel and synthetic slings are held to the same design factor standard of 5:1.
People are free to disagree with industry standards. However, disagreeing doesn't mean they don't exist.

I find it funny you accuse me of trolling, yet on this forum I posted two facts about rope that a lot of people don't know and left it at that, and you felt compelled to post a bunch of nonsense in "reply" without ever providing any evidence anything I said wasn't correct. In addition to making it personal, which I've never done.
That's pretty much the definition of "troll".

As I've never denied, there's certainly a use for synthetic shackles for some people. Only the individual can decide if there is and how to use them.
I'll leave it at that.

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
antichrist said:
The BS about Amsteel-Blue was pulled from MasterPull, http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=197
I'll let you argue with them if it's BS or not, I have no idea if their rope is really that much stronger.

Tom
Just grabbing random data from google to defend yourself has made this debate ponderous.

antichrist said:
but you haven't stated what the pin diameter was in the original test.

If you have another serious question I will answer it but beyond that you will have to find someone else to fight with.

Video 1 test pin was 1 inch in diameter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV