Road noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diverace

Reaction score
I have an LR4 with 2200 miles on it. I'm hearing a loud tire high itched whine when driving on the interstate, but not asphalt. It seems to be getting worse and the noise was not there when I received the truck new. Does anyone else have this problem with the Continental tires?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an LR4 with 2200 miles on it. I'm hearing a loud tire high itched whine when driving on the interstate, but not asphalt. It seems to be getting worse and the noise was not there when I received the truck new. Does anyone else have this problem with the Continental tires?

I hate to say it, but how you describe this whining (high-pitch) sound, it sounds like something mechanical. You should have the dealership check this out. If it's the tires, it's the first I've heard of something like that, but with only 2200 miles on it, if it is the tires, they should take care of it. If it's something else, like a center diff or rear diff that no longer has fluid, or something else mechanical in the drive train, then it'll obviously be under warranty. But my advice is to take it into the dealership and go from there.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Diverance,

I would definitely take it to the dealership. I have 1,500 miles on mine and do not have any of that type of road noise. Better to do it right away than wait. Best of luck!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are stretches of interstate by my house that I do get what I consider a high-pitch whine but I had it on my previous vehicles with much better tires than our Conti's. In the LR4, it's more muted so I can say it's road noise. I agree with Finlayforprez, if you can take it in and have them drive the same strip with you, that may be a good idea.

Just an FYI, our conti's are not very good tires for tread-life/snow/comfort/noise, compared to say Michelin Latitudes or Bridgestone alenzas in our OEM size. In addition, my LR4 needed an alignment a few months ago that discount tires found and thinks is probably due to belt separation in the tire that they have seen happens with Continental tires more often than other major brands. It doesn't help that these tires are one of the more expensive ones out there for 19".

Keep us posted as I'm interested to see what the dealer says if you decide to take it in.

Diverace

Reaction score
Took it to the dealer

Well, the road noise is still there. I think the Conti tires are just loud on cocrete highways. I drove a new LR4 while I was at the service shop, and the new one was almost as loud as mine. Everybody hears the noise, but nothing can really be done about it. So, I'll live with it. I still love the truck! Thanks for the replies.

Diverace

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM