Rocker covers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
The valve/rocker covers on my 2000 Disco II look like crap, they function but they are peeling on the outside. I can find new or used all day long, however I am curious as to aftermarket solutions if any that though physically may be the same, they look better. I do not want chrome or stainless, just wondering if there are any choices as to aftermarket or what could be done to the oems that make them look better cosmetically. Can they be painted? In this case other than finding oem covers, google has not been my friend in finding anything aftermarket.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, the best thing you can do is remove them, maybe sand blast them and give them a good coat of some special heat resistant paint.

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know. I am going to be replacing my wires with 8mm and figured while the intake plenum is off I might as well go ahead and swap out the covers and throw in new gaskets. I can pick up a pair of covers for about 70 dollars used that have all ready been cleaned up I would just have to paint them. I understand how to change the covers but have never done so and wonder do you drain the oil before changing them and then add oil back once they have been swapped? I like to understand things before I tackle them especially if one of my friends is not available when I want to do this.

What I plan on doing is finding a blown motor that I can get really cheap and use as a tool to know exactly how everything comes apart and goes back together before I eventually do a full rebuild of mine in a few years if not sooner.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No oil will drain when you remove valve covers. You should still check the oil while you have the hood open though. 2 years until engine rebuild? I would use the time to take a course at a community college on automotive engine repair because just because you can wrench something off doesn't mean you will get it back on and torqued to the right specs. Also you will learn that when you do blah blah you should also do that that. Things you can not teach your self. I would NOT proceed with your current plan of just teaching myself by tearing into an engine.

Bad Santa

Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum so hope you dont mind butting in,im assuming yor D2 is a v8(im in the UK so we get TD5 too)we have a few companies over here that do aftermarket valve covers i could do a search if you like and post a link??also not sure if you know but the Rover V8 was origionaly a Buick 215ci in the 60's so places like Summit Racing over your way may have somthing also TVR use the same engine and the old Rover P5(if you can find one)have nice alloy ones with the Rover logo embossed in them as do early RR Classic Cheers Stu

Last edited:

NEPAROVER

Reaction score
Hi im new to the forum so hope you dont mind butting in,im assuming yor D2 is a v8(im in the UK so we get TD5 too)we have a few companies over here that do aftermarket valve covers i could do a search if you like and post a link??also not sure if you know but the Rover V8 was origionaly a Buick 215ci in the 60's so places like Summit Racing over your way may have somthing also TVR use the same engine and the old Rover P5(if you can find one)have nice alloy ones with the Rover logo embossed in them as do early RR Classic Cheers Stu

Yes, it is a petrol v8, 4.0 Bosch engine. I would greatly appreciate any help you may be able to give! Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9