running very hot- overheating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adgunn94

Reaction score
greetings, i just purchased a 94 discovery, and i have a problem.

on the road, it does ok, but in town with a/c on it overheats in a matter of minutes. it is normal for this rig to run hot? what can i do to cool it down besides replace radiator?:mad:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check to make sure the fan clutch isn't bad. Other than that a new radiator.

meyersd

Reaction score
Make sure the fan clutch is blowing enough aire through te radiator. Make sure electric fans come on when you turn on the A/C too. If you got over 100K on the clock, swap out the radiator for a new one. it is most likley clogged. Don't even think about trying to get it cleaned. You'll just be throwing good money after bad.

Last edited:

adgunn94

Reaction score
152K on the odo, 10 minutes after i bought it, i lost the upper rad hose, blew right open, lost all the coolant!!!, after some duct tape and 2 gal h20, i drove it 200 miles home, no problems. 75-80 mph all the way a/c on full. just in town sitting idling for more than 5 min the temp goes hot quick. i flushed with lime-away, and prestone flush stuff, had pretty good flow coming from the bottom. and added water-wetter and a 180 deg t-stat. its gave me about 10 minutes of sitting time w/ ac on...looked at the fan clutch, spun pretty easily, probably toast. thats next on my list,

hate to sound dumb, but i can figure the shifter out on the t-case. i can only get diff lock, cant find low range. when i move it to the left, that gives me the lock-light on the instruments. but i am afraid to force it up and down to find Low and Neutral.

:stupid:

Reaction score
95 disco ES V8. 128000 miles.

My Hi/Lo shifter is pretty solid as well. It does change with a bit of brute force. I put it down to many miles of urban driving prior to my owning it and lack of use.

adgunn94

Reaction score
i stumbles upon that site last night, and i believe that is my issue, i did use some more brute force today, and have gotten it to almost go to neutral, i'll probably have to tear it down this weekend, but i'll keep moving it and maybe it'll free up.

one other thing, how does that "big" v-8 sound with glasspacks?? i want to get rid of the giant factory muffler, and do a K&N intake, and hopefully get some extra squirrles out of it, BTW, does anyone have the power ratings on the 1994 3.9?? hp/ tq?? any any ideas how to reasonably get more out of it??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
V8 sound with a flowmaster I can say yes. Glasspacks probably more so.

K&N would be a waste of money without exhaust work (i.e. headers), and ECU work.

Maximum power - 8.13:1 127kW at 4550 rev/min ............................
- 9.35:1 134kW at 4750 rev/min ............................

i.e 170 to 180 HP.

adgunn94

Reaction score
well, i put on a K&N style filter replacment, 3" cone. cut off the neck on the stock box that clamps to the MAF, i havent driven it since, but did fire it up in the driveway, and can tell a small difference and the intake sound, and throttle response, i'll give an update tomorrow when i drive it...BTW the fan clutch is fried, spins freely with very little resistance, was wondering if anyone makes a flex fan that fits the rover? or would a generic one fit. i was just wanting to help its cooling system as much as possible...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The K&N will make is sound better as far as intake sound, but without updating the ECU, the engine will not now what to do with more air. Not only that, but since the rovers engine bay gets so hot it isn't like adding this will lower air temps going into the engine, that is unless you ceramic coat your exhaust.

Clutch fan, I remember reading that someone put a generic on there, but I can't seem to locate that info.... sad to, since I normally save all this on my HD.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635