Satin Black Wheel Care

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here with detailing experience? My satin black Fuel Offroad wheels seem to be fading a bit... They look okay after a good wash, but a few days later, they are back to looking faded/discolored. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to restore them back to their original deep black color? Feeling pretty bummed about this. Emailed pics to Fuel Offroad as I was thinking that the finish on my rims may be defective, but haven't gotten a response. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry but I'm not familiar with the wheels but if they are painted they a couple of thoughts. First don't let brake dust sit for long periods. Second use a mild wheel cleaner that doesn't pull the paint. Third, you'll need to protect the painted surface. If the paint is already dull, you may need to polish it before protecting.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response RBA. Just spoke with a few friends and got some good ideas of things to try. Hitting the trails on Sunday, so will likely try to restore the wheels on Monday or Tuesday.

Going to try washing them, then using wheel clay (i.e. Griots), then using a color restoring polish (i.e. Meguiars ColorX), then maybe a Carnauba Wax. Hopefully this helps a lot. The discoloration is really like a giant brake dust stain, which I am hoping will be removed primarily by the wheel clay.

If anyone has any other ideas (or oppositions to my friends' advice), please feel free to chime in!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Atlantic British sells "Wheel Wax" which is just that - wax for wheels. I have used it for years, especially on my Audis. It seems to make brake dust removal easier.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks Paul. You think it will be safe on my painted black wheels?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your wheels powdercoated or just automotive satin paint?

So far I have been impressed with how the powdercoat does on the compomotives. The brake dust is crazy, but just washing them off seems to be all it takes. I would +1 to wheel wax. Its going to help make maintenance a bit easier.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember, when you polish a satin or matte finish wheel or vehicle it will become glossy. There is a lot of controversy right now on matte paint finishes and what to use on them. Most companies recommend NOT polishing, claying or waxing as it has the opposite effect on a satin or matte finish wheels (I am assuming your use of satin means they are not "shiny") as any abrasion (like in a polish or compound) and most waxes will actually polish the finish (and not evenly) making it even worse looking.

This article has some products that are recommended from some manufacturers....

http://www.carwaxblog.com/2012/04/matte-paint-care/

you can seal the wheels, do NOT wax them...the texture of the matte finish will hold the wax and make them look dull and faded.

I use either P21S or Sonax Full Effect Wheel cleaners which are pH neutral and safe for all finishes to clean, and a very soft "wheel woolie" to get in all the nooks and crannies.

GL - Randy

Last edited:

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is paint, not powdercoat. But I'm not 100% positive. I actually had some luck today by using a gentle, non-acidic wheel cleaner and giving them a really good scrub. I followed this by applying some Turtle Wax Black Wax. I've been getting mixed responses about applying a wax to them, but I tried a small area first, and it really seemed to help a lot. I've attached a pic after I applied the wax.

Attachments

• 1381590_10152581331037524_224894410_n.jpg
    1381590_10152581331037524_224894410_n.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9