Second hand LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vindio

Reaction score
Great find Umberto ... the doc states that "serviceable bushings" are NOT covered. The LR4 control arm bushings are, in fact, serviceable, correct?

v

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't find it, someone else did on another forum I am member of, just posting that link here. :biggrin: If they can be removed / pressed out of whatever larger part they are installed on, yes they are considered serviceable. Which is the case for just about all of the bushings that wear out in our cars.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks umbertob, very helpful. I bet the control arm bushings are considered wear & tear and not covered. And although they are serviceable, on my LR3 they told be it was easier and less expensive to just replace the entire control arm including the bushing rather than the bushing alone.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's usually how it's done when those bushings go bad. Not only because it is easier and less time intensive to replace the whole wishbone assembly than to press out the old bushings and pack the new ones in (you spend more for parts and less for labor, basically), but also because the receptacle on the arm containing the bushing itself may be damaged / deformed. However, as you can see in the CPO document's list of covered part, control arms are only covered by the warranty if they are found to be defective, not because of a serviceable bushing needing replacement...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what kind if money are we talking about here? How much is the whole assembly vs the bushings?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pardon the thread bump but I came here while searching for discussions about control arms and bushings.

Today while having some tire/wheel work done, my indy guys noted some bushing wear on my 2011 LR4 (70K miles). They confirmed Umberto's comment above re replacing the entire assembly vs just the bushing (same logic about time/labor/parts and potential that bushing might not seat properly if receptacle is deformed). They also said that there were no aftermarket alternatives to the OEM part.

Their price for this job was estimated at $1500 plus ~$140 for an alignment.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds about right for two LCAs (should be about $400/ea) with taxes and labor. I believe he is correct when he says there are no aftermarket alternatives at this time, I've never found any. Dealers want $2500+ for the same job.

PS: Looks like AB offers an aftermarket alternative, http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR028245

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed that part also but the description says it's for LR3's through MY09.

While they appear identical to my untrained eye, this one is sold for LR4 ($300 for each side):

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR025610

I'm researching the timing for a repair like this. My symptoms appear to be very subtle currently. The tech didn't make it sound like failure was imminent. But I also have four brand new tires and don't want to risk uneven wear because of the LCA/bushing. All part of the fun.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Atlantic British had a sale on LCAs (plus my 10% discount as a repeat customer) and I got everything I needed including attachment hardware for less than $600 delivered. Shop quoted me $387 EACH just for the LCAs. Hope to have the work done this coming week.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM