Separate rims for snow tires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dislike taking tires off and on each season change when switching from sommer to winter tires. What do most LR4 owners do?
Buy a second set of rims? Ouch, they're expensive. Are they worth it in terms of increasing longevity of tires?

Frank

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Frank, if you want to consider getting an extra set of wheels, I would recommending getting 18" so you have more tire selection. For the LR4 I like the 265-65-18
You can see them here http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_3_006.htm
Here are a few pics of 18" wheels
Chris Ellender 3.jpg

Guy Popiela 1.jpg

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you- that's an interesting solution!

I already have a set of 20-inch snows and like the big tires. You're right, there isn't a great tire selection and I'd hate to be in Podunk and need a new tire!
I don't know if it's good for tires to be taken off and on rims many times.

Frank

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An elderly lady I know takes her car into a local Firestone shop every spring and winter to swap from all-seaon to winter tires. When she went in last month the shop told her two tires were ruined around the beads and that she needed 4 new ones. Her son got involved and it turned out the damage was from the equipment used to take the tires on and off. In the end they offered her 2 new tires for free if she bought 2 new ones.

Based on that I would think regular mounting and unmounting is not great for the tires, unless the tech was just being ignorant about doing it and it was a fluke....

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my factory 19" wheels for 255/55R19 Blizzaks and then use the Compomotives with 265/65R18 all terrains (currently goodyear silent armours, but I want KO2's)

I do the same with all my vehicles. Snow tires for winter, three sets of blizzaks. And for summer, wifes car gets good comfy all seasons, LR4 gets meaty all terrains, Infiniti G35x gets max performance summer tires.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dislike taking tires off and on each season change when switching from sommer to winter tires. What do most LR4 owners do?
Buy a second set of rims? Ouch, they're expensive. Are they worth it in terms of increasing longevity of tires?

Frank

Frank, I was also floating the 18" rim swap. There's a guy selling two sets of LR3 18" rims on the landroverforums website, I think for $450 if I recall. I'll post a link below. Just be aware that you may have to get spacers...good luck going down the 18" rim rabbit hole, lots of posts out there....the compos are the easiest but run around $300 a wheel

landroverforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-20/lr3-18-10-spoke-slotted-rims-82114/.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-20/lr3-18-10-spoke-slotted-rims-82114/

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my factory 19" wheels for 255/55R19 Blizzaks and then use the Compomotives with 265/65R18 all terrains (currently goodyear silent armours, but I want KO2's)

I do the same with all my vehicles. Snow tires for winter, three sets of blizzaks. And for summer, wifes car gets good comfy all seasons, LR4 gets meaty all terrains, Infiniti G35x gets max performance summer tires.

mbw, been meaning to mention that we are twinners.. My other car is an Infiniti G35xS. Really didn't need two cars when I bought my LR4 last month but couldn't bring myself to sell the Infiniti. Such a fun car to drive and so different from the landy.

For the OP I run summer and winter wheel and tire setups and couldn't be happier. If you can store and afford two setups, it gets you the most out of your vehicles all year-round. Just throwing on the full setup each season gives me more peace of mind by reducing potential wheel damage from constant swapping and lets you get more specific rims for winter vs summer.

Now if Johnson Rods hooks me up with some Compomotives, I can start getting even more out of my LR4... wink, wink.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for comments. I'm gonna stay with my 20" wheels. I got snows on the original rims now and will prob spring for a set of wheels if I can find a set at a decent price.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of used 19" LR4 wheels off ebay for my set of hakkas. They even came with TPMS's that still work 3+ years later. It makes it very easy to switch back and forth each season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM