Service questions - 64k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LR4 ownership.
I researched forums such as this before buying. Most people reported their average within manufacturers mpg ranges of 12-17 which was fine with me. I’m just curious why I’m in the 10-11 range, stock and with a light foot. The vehicle was averaging like 14 before I took ownership. So I’m assuming it’s just different type of driving. Me urban Seattle vs suburban Texas where it came from.

Anyway, the vehicle will only be driven about 2-300 miles a month so mpg isn’t an issue, more interested to see if bg44k will make any difference.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
I'm getting 14ish in town with a heavy foot, but last week I averaged 22 mpg on the highway going 75-80. I'm pleased with that. I might try the BG44k just for giggles because I don't have any idea how my rover was serviced prior to buying it. Mine is a 2011 with 86k just for reference.

aztris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting 14ish in town with a heavy foot, but last week I averaged 22 mpg on the highway going 75-80. I'm pleased with that. I might try the BG44k just for giggles because I don't have any idea how my rover was serviced prior to buying it. Mine is a 2011 with 86k just for reference.
See, that’s what I find interesting. I’m driving “normal” most the time and getting 11. On a roughly 400 mile road trip, with vast majority of those miles freeway, I barely got 14.

I’ll report back anything interesting after the bg44k. Putting it in the next tank for another road trip next week.

FYI your LR4 is getting better mpg than my M3. Haha.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14mpg all freeway seems lower than normal. Might not hurt to check for dragging brakes or a dying O2 sensor. Fuel system cleaner like BG44K (or my personal favorite, Red Line SI-1) won't hurt, although using it prior to every other oil change is probably fine.

Our LR4 is getting ±16mpg pretty regularly with mixed town/freeway use, we haven't done a long roadtrip yet to see what straight freeway will be. 11 sounds terrible unless you are spending a LOT of time creeping along in gridlock.

Oh, btw - compare the odometer reading vs mile marker posts, over a minimum of 10 miles, preferably repeat with a different set of markers. Not likely this is the issue but it's easy to check.

:eek:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the intake cleaning is a good idea. I had to have mine done at like 30k because of rough idle. I get 10-14mpg in town (iowa, so not much stop and go), but I can get upwards of 17-19 on a multi-hour long interstate trip if the wind isn't bad. And thats with full skids, bumpers, rack, etc.

I think the full skids improved my mpg... flat bottom. Im sure the front ARB isn't helping, but I dont think its as bad as the roof rack.

manifaez

Reaction score
I just got my 64k done on my Range rover sport. They changed all the air filters and changed the engine oil.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the intake cleaning is a good idea. I had to have mine done at like 30k because of rough idle. I get 10-14mpg in town (iowa, so not much stop and go), but I can get upwards of 17-19 on a multi-hour long interstate trip if the wind isn't bad. And thats with full skids, bumpers, rack, etc.

I think the full skids improved my mpg... flat bottom. Im sure the front ARB isn't helping, but I dont think its as bad as the roof rack.
Did you put your ARB bumper on or did you take it to a shop?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@aztris

Reset the avg MPG screen and drive it for a week then see what it is.
Oh yeah - forgot to ask if you are reporting MPG from the instrument cluster, or the correct method (miles traveled per odometer reading, divided by number of gallons used).

The instrument cluster is never accurate although it does give you a rough estimate. I had to do the max allowable correction with the Gap IID (7.5%) and the cluster still displays ~5% higher than actual. Mine resets the MPG screen automatically when the tank is filled, thought they all did that...?

:stupido3:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut