Should I buy this LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fr80

Reaction score
I have my eye on a 2014 LR4 HSE with just over 100k for $20k. It seems underpriced so I got a PPI done. Hoping to get some opinions from some of you knowledgable folk (have not owned a LR4 before).

The carfax attached shows it was serviced regularly but doesn’t list any major repairs. I had a pre purchase inspection done, the summary was

“Previous repairs on hood. Vehicle is structurally sound. Needs 4 tires and an alignment. Found small leaks in power steering system and drivetrain. Pulled during test drive. Control arms have not been replaced.”

I have attached some photos from the PPI report.

What do you guys think - should I stay clear, or is the price low enough that even with some repair costs it’s a decent deal?

Thanks

27F32C94-D726-4A40-BA74-656F20CD4521.jpeg

8ECE227C-AB56-4132-9D53-AEB5F957EF12.jpeg

43A8D682-8D90-4944-B850-02D52F854FC3.jpeg

110A393E-F727-419D-BF1C-D7EC5021D1D7.jpeg

Attachments

• CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2014 LAND ROVER LR4 HSE LUXURY_ SALAK2V62EA702208.pdf
    613.8 KB · Views: 59

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be wary of anything that pulls. Could be an alignment, could be control arms, could be something is bent to ****.

If it was cheap, the seller would be wise to fix it as it would make the car more marketable.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree - why wouldn’t a person selling a car fix a pulling issue? Also seems to have worn-out tires, and one tire wearing differently than the rest. From the picture, it looks like a used car lot - why wouldn’t they just put new tires and do an alignment?

Report also says DTC codes were shown, and a couple leaks - engine, power steering, rear axle. Anything serious there?

fr80

Reaction score
Mechanic said it was a minor oil leak from the engine but I was unable to get much more detail.

But yes - that’s what is putting me off, the fact that they've had the car on the lot got a couple of months and It’s also been on the lot for a couple of months and not done anything. Why not just fix it and price it more in line with the market. Being new to land rovers I’m wary of buying a “deal” only to be hit with high repair costs.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what current prices are, but it’d have to be a pretty good discount before I’d consider it. Even then, I’d want to look it over and try to determine what’s causing the oil leak and the pulling.

I think deals can be had if you’re able to do the work yourself. But the prices on repairs at shops these days are sky high. That minor oil leak from the engine - maybe its just a valve cover gasket. But to get that valve cover off, the supercharger has to come off and the fuel lines and injectors all need to come out. What should be a $400-500 job just turned into $1500-2000 at a shop (I’m making up these prices, but probably not far off). And if you let it go too long, it drips on your alternator and ruins it. Another $1k. Now, if you have the time and confort level to do it yourself, the repairs would still be very affordable.

Also, be aware that this car does not have the HD package, so no low-range gearing, no locking center or rear diffs, no full size spare.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your timeline on buying an LR4? I'll be selling my 2013 HSE-LUX in early September. It will have about 135,000 miles but has been very well maintained and has zero issues. I think the KBB value is around $15K so that would be my sell price. If interested send me a PM and I can send you more details.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That minor oil leak from the engine - maybe its just a valve cover gasket. But to get that valve cover off, the supercharger has to come off and the fuel lines and injectors all need to come out. What should be a $400-500 job just turned into $1500-2000 at a shop (I’m making up these prices, but probably not far off). And if you let it go too long, it drips on your alternator and ruins it. Another $1k. Now, if you have the time and confort level to do it yourself, the repairs would still be very affordable. .

Your guess is correct...that valve cover leak that drips into the alternator, followed by the alternator dying, the "Christmas Tree of Death" dashboard display then killing off the battery while frantically trying to make it to the closest LR dealer adds up to about $2000.

fr80

Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate your input. Will hold off for something that is more mechanically sound.

Paul - appreciate the offer but looking to get something fairly soon, for a few summer trips. Sounds like a good buy

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your timeline on buying an LR4? I'll be selling my 2013 HSE-LUX in early September. It will have about 135,000 miles but has been very well maintained and has zero issues. I think the KBB value is around $15K so that would be my sell price. If interested send me a PM and I can send you more details.

This will be a good purchase for a savvy fellow LR aficionado…last of the V8’s, biotches!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA