Should I take the plunge?

Discussion in 'LR4' started by awesam, May 1, 2019.

Buy the Car?

1. Yes, join the horde!

2. No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

I bought white for a few reasons (I love black though, the detailer in me does).

1. with dark colors I felt the rear windows blended in too much and made it look more van like.
    2. white is the only non metalic/pearl paint that is just base/clear. which makes white way easier to paint match and cheaper to paint.
    3. reflects heat better.

I have already had to get panels repaired/repainted and white is just less of an issue for that type of thing, so I enjoy it. I agree that some of the other colors are more classy though. Love that interior shot ^^.

backcountryLR4 likes this.
  2. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

I hope the new Defender comes in a variety of solid, non-metallic colors.

3. Houm_WA

Houm_WA Full Access Member

I bought black for precisely the same reason but opposite rationale. I love the more "integrated" look of all things being the same color (windows, wheel arches, bumper shrouds, door handles, etc). As for the windows, the specular reflectance of the glass takes care of it looking like a van, imo.

4. backcountryLR4

backcountryLR4 Full Access Member

^^^This x 1000%^^^
    I do love a perfectly clean, mirror black paint job. However, on the LR4 I feel it ruins the lines and does indeed look like a boring box, instead of a unique, sexy box...

The alpine roof just looks weird without the contrast of the 3rd row window. I bet it would look better with the ProSpeed roof rack I have on now. Would have possibly fixed the semi-wedged looking shape that the window breaks up on other colors.

My first actual test drive of an LR4 was in a black Landmark. I knew immediately that black was my dead last color choice. Looks great from the front, but not from any other angle in my opinion. To each their own.

I would have literally taken any color over black as long as it had the black package. I know the white is the most common color, which since I like to be different is a minor annoyance, but the stormtrooper look does suit the truck well. The other reasons you mentioned with white are total bonuses.