Should I take the plunge?

Buy the Car?

• Yes, join the horde!

• No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Puig

Reaction score
Hey, Im not saying NOT to get one with the HD package - Im just saying it not the end of the world ohhh, Im afraid to get off the pavement deal. The LR4 with no HD can go a helll of a lot of places with out it.

Now a transfer case - that is a different matter -(LR does not have a transfer case - just a low clutch pack - go look under) my older cars had a low and a high transfer case - the Willys had locking hubs if I remember - those two rides were not all wheel drive like the LR - there were real 4 wheel drive. NO, they did not have software. I will say that the entire time I had them I rarely used the low gears - the high 4 wheel drive yes. And when I did use the creeper gear - it was always in dry situations...that just how it worked out. If fact I do remember when crossing streams with gumbo mud - you would always get stuck because you were going to slow - and you could not spin your wheels. If i did go fast - I would be reved out if I went to fast...the gears were too low. None of those old trucks were as heavy as a LR4

Sure if I was going to go all balls to the walls Dakkar - it might be nice - but if you look - some of those entries are 2 wheel drive. I would probably go with a old school setup - no software - no all wheel drive... Hell look at Baja 1000.

BUt for most of the stuff I see here in Texas - I have no issues with not having the HD package...

To each his own - I still love the car - HD with or without

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Michael Puig perhaps you don't know what all is included in the "HD Package." I'm not sure myself, as I'm an LR3 owner. I believe, though, that the LR4's HD package on the later models includes not only the 2-speed transfer case but also the center differential which allows for a full locking (i.e. traditional 4WD with equal torque going front and rear). So in short, HD gives 4WD in addition to the AWD that the base model is. I'm not sure if it also includes the rear locker.

Your points about momentum and 4-Lo not helping...it occurs to me as I read your posts that you may be talking strictly about going fast over flat fields of mud. No rocks, no hills, no obstacles....basically mud bogging, but perhaps also on clay'ish mud not just deep mud. Is that about right? If so, I can at least understand why you assert these ideas.

4-Lo is of massive benefit when you are negotiating technical terrain and need to go slow in order to ensure proper tire placement, line selection, inertial forces (so you don't flop) and to not break your running gear. It is a completely different ballgame than boggin.

Last edited:

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was shopping for a CPO last gen LR4, my priority list in order of importance was HD>Lux/Landmark>black pack>black lacquer interior trim>exterior color.

Got everything I wanted except the Corris Grey exterior. Love grey cars and it would have been closer to my grey Infiniti. I do love the white and black look, but still wish I had grey. Would have never given up the HD 2 speed transfer case. But I live in the mountains and have been saved by it many a times already.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is how I ended up with Ipanema lol. HSE, Lux,vision pack, everything (not HD but 2010 so only missing rear locker) and was such a creampuff and good price I could not refuse.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-(LR does not have a transfer case - just a low clutch pack - go look under)
It is true that it uses a clutch pack, but it IS a transfer case... just not a old school gear-to-gear style one. It functions as a transfer case, in many ways better than an older style one. Give you shift on the move capability and such. It still locks up and provides the same 50:50 split torque that a locked up manual box does. Stop trying to make it sound like this style of transfer case isn't as good... it's nonsense.

Some info from the service manual: near the bottom it specifically calls out that the clutch assembly makes things better.. lets you turn easier, optimizes grip. It can still fully lock up.

I special ordered my 2013, with HD. I know the LR4 can do the same things without it, but with the e-locker the traction control doesn't have to work as hard and puts less strain on the brakes. Less drama.

The unit is located under the vehicle and is mounted on the cross-member, behind the transmission. The unit is identical for all engine derivatives.

The transfer box receives a torque input from the transmission output shaft, which is passed through the unit to two outputs for the front and rear drive shafts.

The input torque is equally distributed via a bevel gear type differential. In order to provide an optimal torque distribution to each wheel in all driving conditions, the unit is equipped with an electronically controlled locking and torque-biasing device. This device detects wheel slip via various vehicle system inputs to the transfer box control module and locks the differential accordingly. The locking torque is applied through a multi-plate clutch assembly.

A planetary gear set, located in the differential assembly, allows the driver to select high or low range whilst driving, this is known as 'shift on the move'. When in low range, the planetary gear set provides a ratio of 2.93:1, which gives the vehicle an extremely low crawl speed for off road driving and trailer towing. High range is a direct drive from the transmission output shaft and provides a 1:1 ratio.

Both the centre differential locking and biasing and the 'shift on the move' features are actuated via a DC transfer box motor, which is controlled by the transfer box control module, via a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) signal.

--

The input torque, from the transmission, is transferred to the input shaft of the transfer box and then onto the planetary sun gear and planetary pinion gears. The planetary pinion gears are held in place by the planet pinion shafts, which are connected to the differential carrier, and drive the differential pinion gears. The torque is then distributed to both the front and rear carriers, which are connected to the outputs of the transfer box. The rear carrier is connected directly to the rear output flange; the front carrier is connected to the sprocket and therefore to the chain drive, which provides the front output flange rotation.

--

The centre differential assembly is the primary feature of the transfer box. Torque is transmitted through the centre differential carrier and distributed to the differential gears and the front and rear output flanges. The planetary gear set, for the high/low range change function, is also an integral part of the centre differential assembly.

The assembly comprises 3 differential pinion gears (4) and shafts (5), which are equally spaced within the centre differential carrier (3). The differential shafts have a rigid connection to the differential carrier. Located between the pinion gears are 3 planetary pinion gears (6) and shafts (7). The planetary sun gear (8) and two differential side gears (10) are located in the centre line of the carrier.

The planetary ring gear (2) is supported in both directions by the differential casing and the differential cover (9). The planetary ring gear is connected to a shifting sleeve, which is engaged in either high or low range.

The multi-plate clutch basket (11), which is welded to the differential casing, supports the friction plates, the dogteeth (12) for high range engagement and the synchronisation cup and spring (1) for the 'shift-on-the-move' function.

--

The multi-plate clutch assembly for both centre and rear differentials act in a similar way. The aim of the multi-plate clutch assembly is to prevent excessive differential slip and therefore maximise the traction performance of the vehicle. This is fundamentally different from the 'braked' traction control, which can only counter act differential slip when it occurs.

A certain amount of differential slip is required to allow the vehicle to turn corners and to remain stable under control of the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS). The transfer box control module monitors the driver's demands through primary vehicle controls and automatically sets the slip torque at the differentials. The system is completely automatic and does not require any special driver input.

The multi-plate clutch assembly actively controls the torque flow through the centre differential and optimises the torque distribution in the driveline. The clutch assembly biases the torque from the transmission to the axle and wheels with the higher grip and prevents the wheels with the lower grip from spinning.

The multi-plate clutch assembly comprises the sprocket (7), which is connected to the front differential side gear, the motor levers (5) with the ball ramp mechanism (6), the clutch hub (1) as support for the clutch plates (3), the clutch piston (4) to generate friction between the clutch plates, and a pack of cup springs (2) to return the clutch piston into its original position.

One set of friction plates are connected to the clutch hub; the other set of friction plates are connected to the multi-plate clutch basket, which is welded to the centre differential housing.

awesam

Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, all LR4’s have a locking center diff, the HDs have an additional one (front I believe) in addition to 2sp transfer case and full size spare.

All this talk of how demanding wheeling or just doing off roading (whatever the term of choice is) makes me think it’s probably not for me.

Just wanted to get out there to learn some stuff and have fun, but I guess I’ll be doomed to failure unless I get this one option. Kinda seems silly to handicap the vehicle to such a degree without it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like the question poll is all ******* too lol:dontknow:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken, all LR4’s have a locking center diff, the HDs have an additional one (front I believe) in addition to 2sp transfer case and full size spare.

All this talk of how demanding wheeling or just doing off roading (whatever the term of choice is) makes me think it’s probably not for me.

Just wanted to get out there to learn some stuff and have fun, but I guess I’ll be doomed to failure unless I get this one option. Kinda seems silly to handicap the vehicle to such a degree without it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Looks like the question poll is all ******* too lol:dontknow:

Rear e-locker... no front options

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey FWIW I think Ipanema Sand is one of LR's most classy colors (maybe you were going for something more ********? ha)

I'm not unhappy with it just when chasing used; the options, condition and price will determine the colour.

Ipanema was the feature colour for 2010. Surprisingly there are not too many about. Mostly black and white.

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV