Should I take the plunge?

Buy the Car?

• Yes, join the horde!

• No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did 2015's have landmark available? i thought that was a final year special edition.

Also, I'm seeing what you guys mean regarding the fishiness. This is in the vehicle report, there are a LOT of registration events. Does anyone know what this could mean regarding the car's history? View attachment 9515

Correct. No such thing as LUX with Landmark. It was one or the other. LUX was available in both 15 and the early 16 models. By midway through the 16 run, they just started throwing what stuff they had left and made it a "Landmark edition."

There is not a 2015 Landmark that exists on the planet.

awesam

Reaction score
Correct. No such thing as LUX with Landmark. It was one or the other. LUX was available in both 15 and the early 16 models. By midway through the 16 run, they just started throwing what stuff they had left and made it a "Landmark edition."

I think the confusion is that in most of the used car sites I see, they lump the Lux and the landmark into the same category, so you'll think you're looking at a lux, then see a pic of the trunk and see the landmark badge, so it looks like something in ADDITION to the lux.

also in terms of throwing what's left in and making the landmark: if i'm not mistaken, the saddle brown (which is officially called Tan) leather is a landmark exclusive (and new), much as the black and white leather was an XXV exclusive.

Speaking of XXV, I saw a black '14 one on carmax for a few hours on Friday, and had to go do stuff at work, when i came back, it was snatched up.

2019-05-11 12.33.04 pm.png

2019-05-11 12.33.49 pm.png

Last edited:

777AIA

Reaction score
1) I am pretty sure that warranty is voided as soon as you start driving off road… You might want to check.
2) I totally agree with the comments about going HSE versus S eat. There is just too great a difference.
3) honestly, for the money… I’d spend half that amount on a 2008 I LR3 HSE and get more bells and whistle‘s… it will easily last you the five years. The only thing you will miss is the LED lighting… I actually think Fowler three performs better off road. Oh, and may be a bit of extra gasoline use…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of with regard to the registration is, given it was a DC vehicle, maybe it had some special sort of tag or registration that required renewal more often.

I do like the brown seat interior. If I could choose any color, regardless of whether it was ever offered, I'd probably pick a white exterior with those brown seats. As it is, I'm stuck with black on black.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm gonna have to dig it up again. I pulled the Vin in topix and swear that's what it said there

Michael Puig

Reaction score
Let me put my 2 cents in regarding the HD package. I have a plain jane LR. Thats it.

Im a flat lander - no mountain trails for me. All I know and have ever known is mud clay and sand - wet and dry. I know how to deal with them. I also know how important tries and tire pressure is. (forgot to mention a winch and dyneema line and anchor)

I have had a 65 Defender (broke real axles like pretzels) and a 63 Willys wagon. Both had a low transfer case. (LR4 has just a clutch pack)

I personally dont think a HD is a killer for the truck - (maybe better resale. I can do most nearly anything in a non HD version - Did the sames things in the 65 and 63. If I was going to launch a boat on a steep ramp or do rock climbing it would be helpful I think

Perhaps I am more conservative in my approach to off roading - if it looks like I might not make it - I find another way around of just do do it... Trust me I have been stuck many times and a low range gear did not help or only made it worse. once you loose traction and momentum thats it.

I guess what im saying is that if you not a crazed "screw it lets see what it will do" kind of driver - you will be fine without the HD. Learn how to drive and use the proper tools and common sense - you will be fine....

Tires and air pressure - repeat tires and air pressure....!!

Oh almost forgot - I ran a 74 Type 4 VW bus with Gates Commandos - It was supernatural what I did with that bus... if it was a syncro... OMG

My style of off roading - notice all the type pf vehicles -

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me put my 2 cents in regarding the HD package. I have a plain jane LR. Thats it.

Im a flat lander - no mountain trails for me. All I know and have ever known is mud clay and sand - wet and dry. I know how to deal with them. I also know how important tries and tire pressure is. (forgot to mention a winch and dyneema line and anchor)

I have had a 65 Defender (broke real axles like pretzels) and a 63 Willys wagon. Both had a low transfer case. (LR4 has just a clutch pack)

I personally dont think a HD is a killer for the truck - (maybe better resale. I can do most nearly anything in a non HD version - Did the sames things in the 65 and 63. If I was going to launch a boat on a steep ramp or do rock climbing it would be helpful I think

What year is your LR4?

If your's is a 2013 or older, you've at least got a low range transfer case in a non-HD LR4.

Perhaps I am more conservative in my approach to off roading - if it looks like I might not make it - I find another way around of just do do it... Trust me I have been stuck many times and a low range gear did not help or only made it worse. once you loose traction and momentum thats it.

The irony is you've got to take a more crazed approach to get through a difficult obstacle in a vehicle without low range than one with low range. With low range, you can be slow and methodical on uphill obstacles, and use compression braking on downhill obstacles.

Without low range, you've got to use the skinny pedal a lot more to get through obstacles. Spray and pray.

Michael Puig

Reaction score
I have a 2016 LR4

Let me put it this way - If i feel i cant make it - I dont do it. If I think i can do it- Ill go for it - always with a eye to recovery,

Houm, your intitled to you opinion. all I know is what has worked for me. Momentum is your friend in low traction situations. In wet mud - if you have a bottom, you want to spin the tires to clean the tread. a creeper gear is of no use in low traction situations... I know this, if the mud is deeper no HD is gonna help you . in fact the money spent on the HD package - if you dont have it - I would spend it on a good winch setup.

Driving skill and good judgement will get you past many obstacles. Thats what I have learned. Then again Im a flat lander - what do I know...

cheers

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Show me a serious passenger offroad vehicle designed without a 2 speed transfer case?

I'm guessing JLR didn't delete the standard t-case because it wasn't needed. I'm guessing it lowered production cost, contributed a miniscule amount to MPG for their CAFE rating and didn't create any heat for them since probably 90% of their current customer base doesn't know what that little button with the mountain on it does anyway.

Can you get by without it offroad? Maybe. A better question would be if you intend to get out into the bush, why the hell would you want too?

Clearly off-road prowess is not a priority for the OP if a certain color of leather seats is a bigger decision criterion than basic 4 wheeling equipment. Nothing wrong with that at all, if that is consistent with his intended use.

BUT, don't try to sell me that a 2 speed t-case isn't useful/needed in all manner of off-road situations. Unless, of course, you are willing to share what you are smoking. Even then, I won't believe you, but I will tolerate your argument while you share your stash.

;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV