Should I take the plunge?

Buy the Car?

• Yes, join the horde!

• No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awesam

Reaction score
Look man, I don't know what to tell you. You're asking for advice, we're giving you advice. Proceed at your own peril.

Just FYI, low range is just as useful going downhill as it is going up hill. I don't know if you want a full dissertation in off road driving in this thread, but low-range going down hill allows the engine to keep the vehicle at a reasonable speed so that you're not riding the brakes.

yeah, i know. this is what i'm looking for: a discussion with those who know more about this than i do. not sure if i'm coming off as argumentative, but i assure you i'm not. just asking follow up questions. I included a quote of that post just to put my reference in context. maybe i misunderstood what that guy was saying because perhaps he was trying to get another message across.

i'm not looking for a dissertation, my guy. just people who are passionate about the subject matter and are willing to have a discussion and share some knowledge. no worries if you care not to participate further. thanks all the same.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the other new Defender thread before you decide. 50/50 chance of it starting at $45k. If it was me I'd wait and eat that depreciation just to show off a new ride

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hunted for months to get one of the last clean, low mileage LUX/Landmarks with HD package and full factory CPO. I love it to death and have been in some crazy situations where low range on the 2 speed transfer case has kept me on the trail. And even with that, I have had to be recovered by my buddy's razor when going off trail to try and get around massive snow fields up mountain trails at 9000 ft in spring.

I would not buy a 2014-2016 LR4 without the HD package if I had any intention of doing any real off-roading.

I would continue to look for one with the HD package or wait and see what the Defender is truly going to offer.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I echo the other advice here. wait for an HD version. they’re out there. i just bought one last month. was keeping an eye out for six months, and in that time came across about a dozen 2016 lux and landmarks with HD. I was looking for HD and adaptive cruise - much tougher to find (but found three in the same week that I bought mine).

I think many more will be coming on the market now as they are now entering the last year of warranty. You’ll see more CPO vehicles as well.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the HD versions are hard to find. I've gone through cargurus and carmax before and it seems like there's about 1 with the HD package for every 12 that don't have it.

But, you're in a position where you're just looking, and so long as you are looking, look for the right one. Most don't know what the HD package is, so they aren't priced any higher. But I'd venture to guess that, 4 or 5 years from now, that will change as these trickle down to more people who want to use them off road.

awesam

Reaction score
all fair points. i actually went to go see the car again at carmax and took it for a spin. i was messing with the ride heights and stuff when it threw up a code "eco mode not available" I was told this would be looked into.

is this a telltale sign that this particular example could be a lemon?

I've read the other forums that talk about an auxiliary battery or whatever and replacing that etc. Not to mention the fact that everyone seems to hate the start/ stop feature because it's too abrupt. but any thoughts on if this could mean anything more than what it is at first blush?

awesam

Reaction score
I echo the other advice here. wait for an HD version. they’re out there. i just bought one last month. was keeping an eye out for six months, and in that time came across about a dozen 2016 lux and landmarks with HD. I was looking for HD and adaptive cruise - much tougher to find (but found three in the same week that I bought mine).

I think many more will be coming on the market now as they are now entering the last year of warranty. You’ll see more CPO vehicles as well.

adaptive cruise? i didn't even know that was offered! where is the radar (lidar?) sensor thing mounted externally?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The started offering it in 2015 I believe. Sensor is covered - not sure where exactly it is located. Used cars listed at JLR dealers or on the JLR site will mention this option if it’s there. I find most other used car ads (e.g., non-JLR dealers) don’t mention it.

As for Eco mode, this is a known failure item. Mine had the same code come up when I when to see the car the first time. The dealer (non-JLR) selling the car replaced the aux battery and the code went away, but the eco start/stop still doesn’t work. I’m not worried about it, and I’ve not seen anyone report that this is tied to any other systems or problems.

As for finding LR4 Landmarks with heavy duty, I just googled “LR4 landmark heavy duty” and pulled up a nice looking waitmo grey cpo at a Santa Monica dealer - 25K miles, and another down in Texas, Black, about the same miles.

awesam

Reaction score
thanks for looking out, but i need that saddle brown leather. it's so... *chef's kiss*

NeilP

Reaction score
My opinion is to buy it . The late LR4 are the last of the good Land Rovers . Chassis , engine sorted and quirks fixed .
Forget the possible new Defender . All they make are crap street cars now . You've got a bird in the bush ....................

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM