Should I take the plunge?

Buy the Car?

• Yes, join the horde!

• No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awesam

Reaction score
I found a used LR4 at my local carmax that I love (I've been looking for LR4's for a while) it is a 2016 landmark with black pack and the saddle brown interior so I reserved it. I have 7 days to decide if I want to buy it.

price is $47k with 27k miles which is a lot of money, but I plan to keep it at least 5 years before even considering parting with it until the maxcare runs out (5 years). I'd like to get into offroading and did the Land Rover driving school thing once and have one nearby; I'd like to continue learning even though this car sadly does not have the HD pack.

Should I go for this? Obviously, the Defender is being announced in September and will likely be better in every measurable way and I imagine once it's announced, used prices on the LR4 will plummet. On the other hand, I would never buy a car new (too much depreciation) and would likely not look to buy a new Defender until its been out a few years and the bugs have been somewhat worked out which may coincide with the timing at which I'd be looking to get rid of this LR4 if I got it. JLR is saying the new defender goes on sale in 2020 and used ones probably wont hit the market in any great volume until about 3 years later so like 2023?

My big dilemma is my worry I wont find another LR4 quite this perfect, but on the other hand, inventory will probably balloon once the Defender is announced, but on the OTHER hand, it's 2019 and the 2016 leased cars are becoming available now...

Thoughts?

obvioulsy I realize this is a LR forum full of LR4 owner who obviously love their trucks, so I understand the advice will be somewhat biased.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to get into off-roading, and you're looking at a 2014 or newer, you'll want to make sure you get one with the HD option. Without that option, you won't have a 2 speed transfer case, meaning no low range.

What's the easiest way to tell? Look at this image:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XQz3G09T8SA/maxresdefault.jpg

See the rotary gear selector? See the bank of switches immediately above it? See the blank switch on the right of that bank? That's where the low range selector would be for the transfer case. This one in this picture does not have the HD option.

awesam

Reaction score
thanks for the info, i've gathered as much from this forum, but also someone posted a kind of work around in which you select S on the transmission and leave it in first. supposedly that helps some?

also my understanding is that the terrain response programming will be adequate if HD pack is missing.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really. There's no real substitute for low range. If it's the thread I'm thinking of, the people who posted what you said were people who already bought and were looking to feel good about it.

If I were looking and wanted to go of road, I wouldn't consider one without it.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info, i've gathered as much from this forum, but also someone posted a kind of work around in which you select S on the transmission and leave it in first. supposedly that helps some?

also my understanding is that the terrain response programming will be adequate if HD pack is missing.

No, double no, and just no. Again, to be sure; no.

If you don't have any intention of driving off pavement, or dealing with the occasional snowstorm or the like is all you foresee, there is nothing wrong with not having the HD option.

If you have any intention, whatsoever, of taking your Rover into harms way, you should only consider those with the HD option.

youtube search "the steps at Blackbear Pass" for an illustration of why you want that low range, among other reasons.

awesam

Reaction score
i watched the steps of blackbear pass video and it looks like deep ruts going at a decline grade. i thought low range was for uphill crawling type stuff.

also, are these cars really just totally useless offroad without the HD pack? I had a disco sport and when I called the LR offroad school thing they said it would be fine if i brought it and they would take me out in it.

The time I actually drove the LR course was after a heavy snowstorm in VT in the big daddy RR and don't think we had it in low range, but man was it treacherous and fun!

awesam

Reaction score
this is an excerpt from the post in question I was referencing:

Unfortunately my 2016.5 LR4 HSE Silver does not have the HD package either. To get the one I wanted (Santorini black, black interior, black package) I had to give up the HD package and tow packages. It was a very rare / difficult vehicle to find at this juncture (purchased in august).

That being said, I've had great success with it thus far. The truck is still more than capable (moreso than most anything else otu there), especially with some good tires, and it should satisfy most casual off-roaders needs. There are a number of steps you can take to compensate for lack of low range gears. For example, for steep descents you put the truck in sport, paddle shift into S1 for engine breaking, and use HDC. Works like a charm. I haven't managed to get mine stuck yet. I plan to put it to the test here soon. I'll post some pics and a recap and let you know how well it runs through the paces...

also, was HD pack omitted or something on the Landmarks? I haven't come across a single one with it

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go without HD like the others said. You can live without it in 2013 and earlier because those at least had standard low range. Does it have to have a warranty? I picked up a 2013 with 25k miles last year for $10k less than that and it's a gem...no HD but still...see if you can find a 2013 with low mileage if it's an option.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you "would like to get into offroading", I am pretty sure you'll be fine without the HD pack for a while. That comment sounds like it would be an evolution, some light trails and then moderate, etc. Most people don't go from nothing straight to "Blackbear Pass" and so if this LR4 is perfect by your description, I would get it and if you really want to get more advanced you would probably would not mind selling it for another as you would be ready to "build up a rig" for serious adventures. It's an investment to do that, not just having low-range, so I would wait until you know.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is an excerpt from the post in question I was referencing:

also, was HD pack omitted or something on the Landmarks? I haven't come across a single one with it

Look man, I don't know what to tell you. You're asking for advice, we're giving you advice. Proceed at your own peril.

Just FYI, low range is just as useful going downhill as it is going up hill. I don't know if you want a full dissertation in off road driving in this thread, but low-range going down hill allows the engine to keep the vehicle at a reasonable speed so that you're not riding the brakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72