Should I take the plunge?

Buy the Car?

• Yes, join the horde!

• No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is to buy it . The late LR4 are the last of the good Land Rovers . Chassis , engine sorted and quirks fixed .
Forget the possible new Defender . All they make are crap street cars now . You've got a bird in the bush ....................

I know we've been picking on the new Defender, but it appears, at worst, it's going to be what the Discovery 5 should have been, and a better vehicle than the LR4. In other words, if you think the LR4 is a "good" Land Rover, you'll have no reason to believe the new Defender isn't a "good" Land Rover, and probably a "better" Land Rover.

NeilP

Reaction score
The Company is dropping like a brick . They make street cars for Asia nowadays imho .
It's finished , for me .

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know we've been picking on the new Defender, but it appears, at worst, it's going to be what the Discovery 5 should have been, and a better vehicle than the LR4. In other words, if you think the LR4 is a "good" Land Rover, you'll have no reason to believe the new Defender isn't a "good" Land Rover, and probably a "better" Land Rover.

Is it going to have a frame, or is it a total unibody?

Low range t-case standard?

Locker?

Can you fit 32-33 tires on it?

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it going to have a frame, or is it a total unibody?

Low range t-case standard?

Locker?

Can you fit 32-33 tires on it?

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic...

Can you get a rear locker on the D5?

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think RyanJL hit it right on the head- it's the *real* Discovery 5. I refuse to look at it differently.

What I haven't seen is what they are going to land on with the interior.. I know that sounds stupid, but think about it.. The LR4 interior has a good blend of style, pampered features, and utility. I cannot have a truck with a luxury sedan interior like they put in the D5- it will get ruined in no time flat. After all the crap i have poured in and out of my truck, it washes out and polishes up great. I put a permanent stain on a D5 dash with a slightly dirty hand (after holding a slice of pizza), how on earth am I going to take that offroad and expose it to what nature could throw at it?

If you are going to build a truck made to "discover", you had better design the interior to expect mud, rain, snow, and strong coffee sprayed throughout it, and still be able to clean it up and take the Mrs. to dinner..

Last edited:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to build a truck made to "discover", you had better design the interior to expect mud, rain, snow, and strong coffee sprayed throughout it, and still be able to clean it up and take the Mrs. to dinner..[/QUOTE

I'll add a wet, sand-covered Labrador retriever to that list. Plus diet coke slush all over the front seat interior & dashboard. Apparently diet coke cans explode while parked overnight in -20 temp.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I think the Defender, at the very least, will have the same options as the D5. So that means a rear locker.

I think most of us would have liked a simply "updated" LR4 instead of the D5. It's kinda incongruous to say the LR4 is the "last good Rover" and dismiss the new Defender out of hand, when the new Defender, at a minimum, looks like an updated LR4, will still be just as or even more capable than an LR4, and has some improvements to boot, such as the rear tire carrier, better approach/departure angles, etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV