Should I take the plunge?

Buy the Car?

• Yes, join the horde!

• No, you missed the boat on the LR4, maybe get into the new defender game earlier

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awesam

Reaction score
So, what did you decide?

i think i mentioned earlier in this thread that it threw a code during the test drive (eco mode not available) and it's still being worked on, also, they didn't really fully disclose to me that the front end got damaged on transport and they needed to re-paint the hood. well, when i saw it before the test drive that threw the code, i noticed a huge paint swirl. so it's getting re-painted now too. i guess the 7 day clock starts once they deem the car fit to be sold...

in the meantime, i think i will go for it. no HD pack, this is true and shameful, but the black pack landmark with saddle brown interior is so *chef's kiss* i don't think i can resist lol

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all fair points. i actually went to go see the car again at carmax and took it for a spin. i was messing with the ride heights and stuff when it threw up a code "eco mode not available" I was told this would be looked into.

is this a telltale sign that this particular example could be a lemon?

I've read the other forums that talk about an auxiliary battery or whatever and replacing that etc. Not to mention the fact that everyone seems to hate the start/ stop feature because it's too abrupt. but any thoughts on if this could mean anything more than what it is at first blush?

eco mode not available is a good thing. That means your crappy a$$ start stop is not working because the flashlight battery they put in it is dead. So. congrats, you don't have to keep switching it off every time you drive it. When we service our landy, we have to tell them "do not fix the eco mode not available"

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sort of got sucked into this thread late....

....I'm expecting the new Defender to be a unibody, EAS, scrunched-LR3/4 looking Rover with pretty good capability. Some will say not having the frame is a negative, and I'd agree...but that doesn't mean it won't be capable. Some won't like EAS but I think the air suspension of the LR3 and later models has proven more robust than people expected. The Defender will be pretty good if it proves itself early, and is available in all kinds of variants like high-utility-low-cost as well as "premium" models that might have more bling and cost more but not necessarily add anything off-road. I'd want to be able to remove the top, too...even though I live in WA state.

Oh...and on that LR4. If you want to wheel it, don't get one without the HD Package. 4-Lo not only does what others on this thread have described, but it simply gives you tons of torque at really low RPMs/speeds. It allows you to inch over obstacles with control and not having to rev the heck out of the engine. That's less breakage and more control.

If you are a mountain biker, think of riding over a trail and how much that granny gear helps you, whether you're climbing a hill or going over technical terrain. That trick of using S1 and HDC might help you go down a mild hill descent and give you some added control in non-technical off-road situations, but it's simply no substitute for 4-Lo.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think i mentioned earlier in this thread that it threw a code during the test drive (eco mode not available) and it's still being worked on, also, they didn't really fully disclose to me that the front end got damaged on transport and they needed to re-paint the hood. well, when i saw it before the test drive that threw the code, i noticed a huge paint swirl. so it's getting re-painted now too. i guess the 7 day clock starts once they deem the car fit to be sold...

in the meantime, i think i will go for it. no HD pack, this is true and shameful, but the black pack landmark with saddle brown interior is so *chef's kiss* i don't think i can resist lol

Seems like you're in love with the car and overlooking a few red flags.

The Eco Mode is probably just a dead second battery.

But it's wrecked and getting repainted, and they didn't tell you?

This aside from the fact that it doesn't have HD.

I don't know, man.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a 2015 lux with landmark + tow + HD with 75k miles nearby for a great price. If I didn't have the 2013 with 38k I'd probably jump on that one. Carmax seems fishy with what you shared and I'd say keep shopping.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. Carmax seems fishy with what you shared and I'd say keep shopping.

I agree. Ever see those commercials where Carmax wants to buy your used car? Carmax seems like a last resort to get rid of your used car if dealers won't give you the trade-in value you want. I wonder how much reconditioning Carmax does on the cars they sell? And their technicians can't be experts on all models and know what issues to look for and repair before putting the car on the lot. You'd be better off searching for a CPO LR4 if you can find one.

awesam

Reaction score
I agree. Ever see those commercials where Carmax wants to buy your used car? Carmax seems like a last resort to get rid of your used car if dealers won't give you the trade-in value you want. I wonder how much reconditioning Carmax does on the cars they sell? And their technicians can't be experts on all models and know what issues to look for and repair before putting the car on the lot. You'd be better off searching for a CPO LR4 if you can find one.

true, but the real benefit is in maxcare (just ask doug demuro) sine their now partnered with repairpal, i can "shop" around for the place i'd like to do my repairs. Also, the car has less than 30k miles and is less then 4 years old, so it should still be covered by LR, so i could hopefully get it back on track early and keep it that way.

eloist

Reaction score
Didn't read this whole thread, but my two cents:

An "off road vehicle" without low range is not an "off road vehicle".

Carry on....

awesam

Reaction score
I found a 2015 lux with landmark + tow + HD with 75k miles nearby for a great price. If I didn't have the 2013 with 38k I'd probably jump on that one. Carmax seems fishy with what you shared and I'd say keep shopping.

Did 2015's have landmark available? i thought that was a final year special edition.

Also, I'm seeing what you guys mean regarding the fishiness. This is in the vehicle report, there are a LOT of registration events. Does anyone know what this could mean regarding the car's history?
LR4.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72