Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWarner

Reaction score
Haven't posted in a while but pulled the camper out this weekend for a short trip and took a few pix...

MY2013 Land Rover LR4 with MY2012 Rockwood HW296
IMG_20230709_211332651.jpg

IMG_20230708_192603168_HDR.jpg

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some near home overlanding today testing out the new shoes (Continental AT’s)

2012 5.0

Attachments

• 22DE51ED-AE5A-4CAE-BE95-7C29B9A4C347.jpeg
    22DE51ED-AE5A-4CAE-BE95-7C29B9A4C347.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 440CFE7D-E019-4F84-860A-97DFA6C0BD3D.jpeg
    440CFE7D-E019-4F84-860A-97DFA6C0BD3D.jpeg
    222.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 3F7AB955-11D0-461F-83F1-967D52AACFE0.jpeg
    3F7AB955-11D0-461F-83F1-967D52AACFE0.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 62

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We tried to go camping today but every spot was taken. Went up into the woods on some steep, narrow, back roads near Mt. Baker, WA. Finally decided to turn around and head back home. Rig got a good workout and I was able to use a lot of functions that I wouldn't normally. With 8 and 10-year-old daughters and a 10-month old Irish Setter pup and no back-up, it just didn't seem wise to head any deeper into "the road less traveled". The paved road turned to dirt road and the dirt road turned to path and the path was starting to narrow with underbrush encroaching on either side. When I hit the 5-foot wide dip with the foot-and-a-half drop in the middle, I decided I was done. Could I have made it? Probably, but I wasn't willing to push it under the circumstances.

Attachments

• IMG_20230715_175002.jpg
    IMG_20230715_175002.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20230715_183520.jpg
    IMG_20230715_183520.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 65

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Brooks Looking good. What kind of roof rack do you have?

Frontrunner full roof rack with the wind deflector and a light bar mounted with frontrunners mounts. Technically you shouldn’t be able to fit both but I did and then filled the little gap at the top where it mounts with black silicone. You can’t tell unless you were looking for it on the outside.

BigBriDogGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Brooks in an earlier post you mentioned a "ceramic" coating that got your LR4 to shine. I have the same black and notice it shines pretty good (when washed). Not sure if it ever had the treatment you speak of. I suspect it's just the regular paint after getting a wax and clear coat treatment at the touch-less carwash. I got one of those paint pens from AB to touch up little chips, scratches, and scrapes. It's suppose to match the Santorini Black, but from what I can tell, it's just black. I also have the clear, but haven't used it over the black pen yet. My thought was to put on the black, buff it out, put on the clear, buff that out, and it would match the paint job closely enough to blend in. I've found it's better than the exposed metal, but the solid black color and flat finish shows up when you look right at it. I suppose if it gets enough of those wear and tear blemishes, the only real solution would be a full paint job.

I might decide to go in a different direction if it comes to a full body paint job. I'm taken with the ability of the black to shine like a mirror, but I sometimes wonder if it's the right look for a rugged off-road rig.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Jimmy Brooks in an earlier post you mentioned a "ceramic" coating that got your LR4 to shine. I have the same black and notice it shines pretty good (when washed). Not sure if it ever had the treatment you speak of. I suspect it's just the regular paint after getting a wax and clear coat treatment at the touch-less carwash. I got one of those paint pens from AB to touch up little chips, scratches, and scrapes. It's suppose to match the Santorini Black, but from what I can tell, it's just black. I also have the clear, but haven't used it over the black pen yet. My thought was to put on the black, buff it out, put on the clear, buff that out, and it would match the paint job closely enough to blend in. I've found it's better than the exposed metal, but the solid black color and flat finish shows up when you look right at it. I suppose if it gets enough of those wear and tear blemishes, the only real solution would be a full paint job.

I might decide to go in a different direction if it comes to a full body paint job. I'm taken with the ability of the black to shine like a mirror, but I sometimes wonder if it's the right look for a rugged off-road rig.

Yes I did have my truck ceramic coated which was an amazing decision IMO because of the price and quality of work my guy does. All in it was $500 and the guy worked over a 2 day period. Day one was a full paint correction and day 2 was the coating. He sat on my car for 8+ hours a day in my garage. I will say it’s nice to know most of the scratches and water spots that got engraved in my paint will come out when buffed and polished however there is no escaping the rock chips especially at my mileage. As far as that goes I’ve come to understand that a truck with that many miles will never be perfect but it can always look beautiful if taken care of properly. I suppose one day I might get a full wet sand job and make the paint perfect again but that’s if I end up keeping the car the rest of my life. At that point I would get a full ceramic coating and then PPF the whole front end. But for right now I would just wrap the car white if it really bothered me that much. I think black is a beautiful color when clean (arguably the best color) however the harsh reality is that it’s incredibly hard to keep clean and maintain it and it’s a PAIN to have in the California sun and heat. I might get the car re-coated again in the next year but I doubt I’ll go as far as doing door dings and filling in paint chips in the next 5 years.

A side note, despite the ceramic coating my roof paint is starting to become slightly faded underneath my roof rack if you look very closely. It still sines but if your brush it with your nails lightly you can start to feel a more harsh texture. Not sure how to prevent that other than constantly waxing it.

Final conclusion: the way I view the whole thing is as long as you would never be able to guess how many miles my LR4 has on it based on it’s looks then I am satisfied. My favorite thing ever is seeing people’s facial expressions when I tell them the mileage and get to see how shocked they are by the condition of it.

Last edited:

Vastidious

Reaction score
I was helping my daughter look for a new car after her accident totaled her previous vehicle, and I stumbled across this find. I have always been very interested in getting a Land Rover, but never thought I'd have a chance at a price I was willing to pay. I don't drive much these days since I now work from home, and I've gotten to where I don't even drive my car anymore. (2012 Kia Forte Koupe). I found this 2013 Land Rover LR4 that is in excellent shape, well cared for and isn't showing any signs of issues with the timing chain even though it's sitting at 175,000 miles. I had a mechanic really check it out as much as he could without disassembling it, and he went in raging about how it's a time bomb waiting to happen, and all that. After he finished checking it out, he actually came back to me and said, it's in really good condition and he's surprised to say it might be alright for quite a while. So I decided to jump into the water and see how wet I can get.

I know all about the timing chain and crossover pipe issues that come with the territory and I'm keeping an eye out for those. However, it was so cheap it left a little in my budget that I'll keep aside in case I have to have those addressed. But in the meantime, it looks amazing, rides like a dream, and I'm enjoying it so far. I think I'll reach out to a friend of mine who is a Jeep owner, and see if I can tag along with them sometime when they go off the beaten path. I want to stretch it's legs a little. Anyway, here is the first picture I have since bringing it home yesterday.

The details:
2013 Land Rover LR4 HSE
5.0 V8
175,000 miles

Land Rover LR4.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72