Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on all the women I know width matter ;)

Jokes aside at roughly 30,000 miles on my 265/65R18 DuraTrac I still (haven't sold it yet) hit the frame horn at every height (yep even when lifted). I don't think mine came with longer frame horns, it could just be a matter of durability of the tire or else (DuraTrac is a pretty soft tire and I was expecting to get rid of the rubbing pretty fast).

Concerning the compressor, I did have to change my old one for the new model almost 2 years ago and since then the only problem I had was in VT when one of the lines came off. Fortunately I was in off-road height and when I went to normal height the truck's "systems" kept it there (granted it was a mechanical fault and not a computer glitch).

Anyway this argument might be taking away from the topic of this thread which is a show-off your truck...

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, Axel, glad to see you're still hanging around!

It seems to me that the tire fit topic has circled around a number of times - often on threads that didn't start out as tire threads! Of course, I'll be very interested in the Spring when I spring for a set of KO2s. I'll need to decide whether I go with 265/60 or 65. But I'll start yet another tire thread (YATT) at that time. Or maybe I'll just hijack an existing thread on a different topic. :beer:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Jokes aside at roughly 30,000 miles on my 265/65R18 DuraTrac I still (haven't sold it yet) hit the frame horn at every height (yep even when lifted). I don't think mine came with longer frame horns, it could just be a matter of durability of the tire or else (DuraTrac is a pretty soft tire and I was expecting to get rid of the rubbing pretty fast)...

Not too surprising, the 265/65 are actually a larger diameter (very very small difference) vs the 285/60.

Attachments

• 285.JPG
    285.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 265.JPG
    265.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 51

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as someone who actually owns the wheels and tire combo you are talking about. I can say you are full of $hit. I have driven around parking garages in lowered height taking turns all the same and have NEVER rubbed the front fender liners whatsoever. The frame horn issue was when they were new and only on FULL lock, then as the tires wore got less and less pronounced to the point they do not anymore. It's the same as I have heard from 265/65 owners.

Driving on bump stops? Perhaps you are right. Honest question, do the 265/65s hit at all while on the bump stops? Regardless the answer, I do not fit my vehicles out planning for the absolute worst hardware failure scenarios. From what I have read, the compressors are far more reliable these days. How many on this forum have actually encountered an EAS fault to sit at the bump stops? Acceptable risk, in my opinion.

1- I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about regular driving. I had the same size tires before so I have first hand experience with them too. The compo wheel would only make any rubbing worse.

The POINT I was making is that your statement about width never being a problem is factually incorrect. So your tire works, fine, but it's not the widest tire. The next width would certainly be a problem.

2-I sure as hell wasn't talking about a parking garage. Did I even mention that? I said bump stops as in during a computer glitch, which by the way, does not at all require an EAS problem. As noted by others, a random brake related thing or other goofy electrical issues can put the vehicle into "limp mode" which drops you lower

3-I didn't say you have to be prepared for anything that "could" go wrong. But let me give you this question to put you to the test: Will you feel fine venturing out on a trip with no spare tire? Why the hell not? Using a solid tire you're highly unlikely to have a flat ....

It's simply inherently dumb to run a tire that will rip up the fender liners if the vehicle drops. Your tire may not quite do this but a larger one would without any means to fix the situation on site. So, I just think your width tire is getting close to the problem zone with it's width on the slightly wider offset.

Anyway, it was mainly your thing about width not being at all any issue whatsoever that started this and it's drawn in other crap that really doesn't matter too much.

No offense meant, just clarity for everyone was the goal.

Oh, about the 265/65x18 rubbing the frame horns? Well, I don't think they did actually. The reason is that the factory wheel sits just a bit closer than yours, like 8mm? and the tire shape is narrower by almost an inch. The diameter is essentially the same but the swing arc while turning was just enough within the range of touching the frame horn.

Last edited:

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but remember Jwest thinks that the air system fails and the suspension goes to the bump stops every time you take it off-roading and that's why he believes a LC is superior LOL ;) SMH :stupid:

I'd like you to show where I said anything remotely like that.

Everyone knows that a Land Cruiser is more reliable. Nobody ever really tried to argue that one. If "superior" means less **** to deal with, then it is in fact, If "superior" means more able to get through more conditions on trails, then the Land Rover with EAS is without any doubt the winner in that aspect.

However, what's much easier to prove is that you really have nothing useful to add or much experience in a Land Rover in the first place.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still Clean

I snapped a few cool photos. November and December will be months in which I am hitting the trails hard, so hope to post some actual action shots out in the wilderness and mountains.

9C158F60-5306-44B2-BA2E-A4EBEAA4BD05_zpsajltkfz7.jpg

7C4BC6A6-28E0-4EA7-A92D-A4B9CB16F088_zps6ldyxapq.jpg

B95993B6-CF7A-4488-9AC4-B3FC8439D692_zpshw4w8i20.jpg

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I snapped a few cool photos. November and December will be months in which I am hitting the trails hard, so hope to post some actual action shots out in the wilderness and mountains.

These are sweet! How much did you pay for your Compomotive Wheels? Looking at those... Thanks.
:driver:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Boaz! Long time no talk, I was hoping you might pop up at the WNLRR in Sedona a couple of weeks ago and we would get to shake hands again after you abandoned us here in SoCal so many years ago... :biggrin:

Anyway, the Johnson Rods guy had a deal on Compos a few weeks ago, not sure if his offer is still going but the price was decent compared to what I paid a few years ago ($2K for a set of 5, give or take) and to the current price from Compomotive's authorized dealer for the US, Lucky8. Here is the link to the deal: http://johnsonrods.com/johnson_rods_3_007.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM