Simply dumbfounded

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no words.

Third day of ownership of my brand new MY13, and I noticed the steering/front suspension knock/rattle as i went over sharp small bumps (like the curb edge as you pull into your driveway from the street).

I had the exact same issue with my 06 LR3 HSE since day one which remained unresolved during my six years of ownership. i even spent money out of my own pocket after the warranty expired as the dealer told me that there were some revised sway bar bushings that cured it. But the revised bushings did not cure the problem (maybe there were other bushings that needed replacement by that time). As much as i would have liked to, I never had a chance to take my LR3 off roading even once. That problem completely plagued my LR3 driving/ownership experience as i took the car to various dealerships multiple times during the last six years.

And now i just picked up my custom ordered LR4 last saturday and noticed this knock/rattle. Upon research sure enough I found that there is a TSB for it for LR4 too: http://www.disco3.it/gallery/albums..._Knock_Noise_While_Driving_Straight_Ahead.pdf

I even had posted here asking about this potential issue before purchasing the truck: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23177

With all that marketing and talk about LR4's revised steering and suspension components, etc, I had thought things had been fixed with the re-design.

I have just dropped 65k on this thing and feel like an idiot now and am trying to avoid being furiously angry at LR for not resolving this by now. I understand that they want the steering to feel sharp, hence the marshmallow bushings maybe. But for God' sake, its a ******** truck. Fix the damn thing already its been years. The knock/rattle is not as pronounced as it was in my LR3 and its to a much lesser degree, but it is still there.

Its so hard to re-create this problem to demo to service dept. because it happens only on a specific type of bumps and not all the time. I have spent hours cumulatively during the last six years to demo it to the service depts of various dealerships.

I have absolutely no idea where to go from here.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about this - VERY frustrating!

I wish I had better advice for you, but you should definitely try to get it on video and just keep bugging the dealerships and do not be afraid to call LR North America. In fact, I recommend calling LR North America sooner rather than later - early on in ownership. The more documented complaints you have with LR North America the better. As always, please keep us posted!!!

In the meantime, I'd love to see pictures of your new 2013 LR4... I think you are the first on the forum (maybe?) to get a 2013 model!!!

Regards, David

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issue. Definitely stay on top of it with LRNA. They will make it right. We had continual problems with our surround camera system on our 2010 and it took a while to fix, LR NA stayed on top of it and compensated us for our trouble.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 30,000 miles on my '10 LR4 and my suspension is as good as it was new. There are no clunks or bushing noises (which I know is annoying as hell, BMWs are notorious for this)... BUT, if there is a TSB take it in and get it fixed. LR has recognized the issue with the TSB, yes? This would annoy me to no end so make them change out the front a-arm/control-arm bushings.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

You could imagine how annoyed I am at the moment. I have spent countless number of hours during these last six and a half years and had just written the whole thing off as a waste of my time as I sold my LR3. But now the same thing with LR4...

Just a bit of a background: Custom ordered back in february. Car arrives in May. Miscommunication on dealer' part and car gets sold to someone else by mistake. I had my LR3 planned for sale at that time so it gets sold. I am without a car now so I pick up a rental. Dealer very apologetic, manager orders another car with the same spec, super nice with me and keeps me informed. Car arrives mid december, I go to the dealership to take delivery and see a few quality control stuff here and there. Because its a week before christmas and by now I have waited only about ten months for this car, and since i have been in a rental car for about six and a half months now, I decide to not bother myself with these things and drive the truck off the lot.

And then I encounter the steering knock.

Those other things that I noticed on the day of delivery are:

1. Dashboard facia stitching crooked.

2. Front passenger side fender body panel sticking out a bit where it meets the bumper right underneath the right head light. Driver's side fender meets the bumper line just fine.

3. Driver side quarter panel wheel well cladding does not line up with the one on the rear door. Same thing on the passenger side but mismatch is in different direction.

3. Radio right side rotating knob (for changing stations or music sources for My Music) rough and does not click smoothly (you get past the click and stop half way between the two clicks unlike the volume knob which clicks fine) so its hard to select music source.

4. Climate Control temperature knob for the passenger side loose.

5. Ride felt a bit firm and rough the first time i drove the car but this could honestly be from coming from the rental sedan ('12 Accord) that I had been driving for the past six months. But now it has been ten days since I have been driving my LR4 and I remember that my LR3' suspension felt really smooth on streets around my house. There seems to be a lack of smoothness or softness in the suspension on even slightly uneven or solid but coarse pavement which causes a sort of vibration inside cabin with seats etc making a little noise. Tires' air has been checked with an accurate Accutire guage. Wish I had my LR3 for comparison' sake. Maybe other LR3 to LR4 owners can share their experience.

5. Putting the gear box in reverse cause the radio band to switch from FM to AM (Hello complicated electronics that have not been vetted thru :)

6. Radio on but no sound, once so far.

Any ideas regarding what course of action i should take would be greatly appreciated.

I have not called my dealer or LRNA yet. QC stuff is really not the dealer' fault so I am thinking of calling LR directly. Also the dealer i purchased the car from is a bit far from me so I may have to take the truck to a nearby dealership (which did not seem interested in custom ordering a car, hence the purchase from another dealership) for checking things out. Not sure if that would be a problem.

Last edited:

Juventuss

Reaction score
I would highly suggest informing the dealer ASAP and try to make time to drive down to where you got the car from. They'd show a more vested interest than any other dealer. I'd also open a case with LR so it is documented. The last thing you want is to have to deal with all these issues on a brand new car.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am so sorry to hear about this - the QC issues are unacceptable... All of those components of my 2011 are perfect! I would DEFINITELY call the dealership AND LR USA immediately.... Document everything and keep contacting them. You should get a new truck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM