Slider Comparison; anyone used either of these?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed the TERRAFIRMA sliders since Michael posted this DETAILED BLOG of his install in March, 2015? It looks like he had to make significant modifications in order to get rid of understandable interference concerns.

Lucky8 said TF released a new version in late 2016 and they've shipped 10+ out since with no complaints. I'm wondering if people just cram it all in there and hope for the best, or if modifications have been made.

@Surfrider77 , how do you feel about sand getting up and into the pocket where all the sliders connect to the frame? It seems the sliders are open at the top and then creates a great place for sand to sit that would be difficult to rinse out.

I emailed you a picture of the front of the voyagers, its pretty closed off. The inner part of the slider sits flush with the sill all the way down, so no other places to get sand into. you could probably tape or silicone the gap and it would be sealed more or less from the front.

The _Just

Reaction score
I'm currently planning slider, bumper/swing out, armor combos. Thank you guys for all of the great feedback.

Are the tactical pieces really that much heavier than the other steel options? It sounds like most people agree that they protect the most. Alum simply wasn't strong enough?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed you a picture of the front of the voyagers, its pretty closed off. The inner part of the slider sits flush with the sill all the way down, so no other places to get sand into. you could probably tape or silicone the gap and it would be sealed more or less from the front.
Yes. Your pic and the install pics from that blog I linked above is what got me thinking about it. A pocket is created that is open at the top where the AC lines sit. From the factory, most of the sand could drain out with a hose rinse. With a slider, you seal it in there...I think. So, rather than block it front to rear, I like the idea better of having an open channel front to back that you can give a good spray with the hose.

I don't think there is a solution. If I put metal on, I create places for sand to sit. Can't avoid it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually kinda hard to get a photo right now, but I just looked and the flat bottom part of the slider just ends under the A/C lines on the voyagers. The sand would not stay there very easily and you could easily brush or hose it out. It has no lip.

I wonder how you deal with sand on the tactical, because they go in further and block that area off.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke to Voyager again and ordered theirs. They seem to fit my needs best and I like the look of them He thinks flushing out sand will not be a problem. I also like the idea of buying from a shop that manufacturers them locally.

I asked again about the Zinc coating and will correct my post above with new information -

The confusion arose because the racks are made from tubing that comes zinc'd inside and out. The slider tubing is not available with that treatment, so they buy bare steel and treat it with a zinc primer, and two layers of powder coating.

That is all. New sliders on the way.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say this, just so my comment doesn't inadvertently slam an independent business that designs and builds their own product. Everything is made to order. They build it right there, can customize anything, and were friendly and accommodating on the phone. I'm sure if someone called up and asked for a set zinc coated, they'd do it. He may not even be aware that folks are having this issue as he seemed pretty proud of his products when I spoke to him.

That said, surfrider, good feedback. Like you, I'm more of a sand crab than a rock crawler.

I called and all they offered was to repaint them (with the back and forth expensive shipping on me). No offer of a new process. I got no apologies, nor were they surprised at the rusting or make effort to make me happy, etc. Also, electroless zinc-plating is not that great if it gets pierced - and it will. That's a guarantee. Sure, its better than just paint, but far from a solution. That's why car body panels are not zinc-plated. Even with the bad-ass factory coatings (multiple coats), tell me how well your paint hold up to rock chips.

The best option is to Rhino coat it (or equivalent), because it is compliant and and better protect against sharp impacts. The quote I got was ~$700. I decided to just junk mine. Better that way. I got rid of 140lbs of ballast. Buying those sliders were among the worst decisions I ever made. Oh, and they sent incorrect hardware as well - hardware that will start rusting in two weeks in the north. I had to buy my own stainless hardware in the proper size/length.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently planning slider, bumper/swing out, armor combos. Thank you guys for all of the great feedback.

Are the tactical pieces really that much heavier than the other steel options? It sounds like most people agree that they protect the most. Alum simply wasn't strong enough?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

If you compare this underbody photo of the Tactical sliders with the Voyagers, you can see how much more there is to the Tacticals:

sliders1_zpsf0b8de04.jpg

The Tacticals extend all the way in to the frame.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Voyager sliders are still for sale since Todd went with new Voyagers.

PM me if interested. I started on fixing the edge that has a little rust today, but overall I think they will hold up for many more years. Minor rust after more than 2 years is ok by me.

atlantaM3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of the earlier TerraFirma AL sliders, got them used. The prior owner apparently has issues with the mounting holes lining up. I had to cut/mod the inside rail of the drivers side to get it to fit properly, since I have rear A/C. After notching them, I didn't have any problems mounting them using the factory holes. That said, they are 'soft' since they are AL, and I have proved they can be bent.... So I have a new set on the way as of a week ago. I will let you know how the new version fits once I get them.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Surfrider77 , how do you feel about sand getting up and into the pocket where all the sliders connect to the frame? It seems the sliders are open at the top and then creates a great place for sand to sit that would be difficult to rinse out.

Never noticed any issue. Some of my frequent dune driving is around coastal areas, so there is salt content in the sand. I am pretty meticulous about taking my truck to a car wash with a hydraulic lift and pressure washer and have them thoroughly blast out the underside of my truck. In the next few weeks I plan on taking mine to an off-road shop that is going to treat some of the rust and prep / undercoat for me.

I called and all they offered was to repaint them (with the back and forth expensive shipping on me). No offer of a new process. I got no apologies, nor were they surprised at the rusting or make effort to make me happy, etc. Also, electroless zinc-plating is not that great if it gets pierced - and it will. That's a guarantee. Sure, its better than just paint, but far from a solution. That's why car body panels are not zinc-plated. Even with the bad-ass factory coatings (multiple coats), tell me how well your paint hold up to rock chips.

The best option is to Rhino coat it (or equivalent), because it is compliant and and better protect against sharp impacts. The quote I got was ~$700. I decided to just junk mine. Better that way. I got rid of 140lbs of ballast. Buying those sliders were among the worst decisions I ever made. Oh, and they sent incorrect hardware as well - hardware that will start rusting in two weeks in the north. I had to buy my own stainless hardware in the proper size/length.

I too heard the bolts they send are pretty cheap. Mine didn't even arrive with my shipment, but I had planned on buying my own high quality stainless hardware. Those bolts look in perfect shape. The sliders, however...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV