snow / gravel program

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
Do you guys know what exactly the snow / loose gravel program does?
I'm guessing that it sends more power to the front wheels.
Does it affect rpm shifts too?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it delivers power in a more gentle way in order to prevent wheel spin. That I know about it doesn't have anything to do with sending more power to the front wheels. My personal experience on snow is that you can get the tail out with not much effort ;)
Shift points are lower too I think again to help with slippery condition and not overwhelm the tires with too much torque. I could be wrong though.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was given this document years ago by a former LR employee. Although it is 10-year old and refers to the first version of Terrain Response as originally used on Disco/LR3 and 2006-2009 RRS (the system, software and logic were refined but largely left unchanged in the LR4's incarnation), the document explains the characteristics of the system and controlled subsystems in far greater detail than the Owner's Handbook, and I find it a fascinating read, from a "nerd" perspective.

Scroll down to pages 8 and 9 if you want to get to the nitty-gritty of how the various TR programs behave and why they were developed that way:

https://app.box.com/s/ortv8fxvgw38rpzyjcbe3q6roqeo8ea3

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is awesome, umberto! I love this "nerdy" stuff (coming from a software engineering background). It even has your highlighting in it. ;-)

horns

Reaction score
Thanks umbertob.
That is a gold mine of information.
Required reading for all owners!
You would think the LR service lounges and showrooms would be wallpapered with this article.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9