Soon to be Newb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

avick

First post! I'm a long time (10 year) Discovery owner and am about to get an LR3. Given the current situation with the fuel tanks (just had my 95 replaced), it's probably going to be a couple of months, but my question is this:

Should I pursue a great deal on an '05 once the fuel tank issue is resolved, or does it make more sense to get an '06? Any technical differences between the 2?

Thanks,

F

Freeflytim

If you can get a deal on an 05 go for it. They are not being recalled because everyone is having a problem.. only a select few are having the problem.

The only difference between the 05 and 06 is the way the options are configured, for the most part.

Buy an HSE7 with HD and you'll be happy.

F

Freeflytim

Its funny that you said you're a 10 year Disco owner who is buying a LR3/DIII... Im the opposite...

Im a 05 LR3/DIII owner getting to buy a 97 DI trail truck!

A

avick

That is funny. We still have a 2000 Disco SE with ACE, but I just sold the 1995 with 115,000 miles for $5k. It had OME 2", 235/85, TJM Bumpers, Superwinch EP9.0 and other stuff. If you need any help with the 1995, lemmeknow. Used to own a shop in Denver.

I am seeing 2005's in the $43k-$46k range, which I would imagine will be right around $40 in December or January. I would imagine I'd be pretty lucky to find an HSE7 HD though, but I'll try

F

Freeflytim

Im waiting on this dude to get back to me.. '97 125000, ARB air lockers, 4.11 Great Basin Diffs, bumpers, winch, synth, sliders, guards, rack, lights, snork, OME3", yadda yadda yadda... He's put 15k in it since he bought it as a mall crawler a year and half ago. "Has to go."

The DIII kicks butt off the road but sometimes I wanna do the 'silly stuff!!!' A truck that if I realign a door Im cool with!!

You can get away without HD as the TRS still kicks butt. A poster on all these boards who has access to both HD and nonHD trucks on the trail sez the difference is minimal, if any.

But, you gotta find an HSE. The driver's seat and stereo are night and day compared to the SE... I had an SE loaner for 10 days and could not stand them compared to my HSE!! IMHO.

T

toddjb123

I think you'd be fine with either year. But, I'd be surprised if you find many '05 LR3s on the lot (HSEs) that you could get a deal on. If that's the case, just go for an '06 instead. It is bound to have some minor computer fixes or other updates they figured out on the '05. No major changes, but if you have the option, get the 2nd model year, IMO.

A

avick

That 1997 sounds well put together but make sure it's not trashed. It would be interesting to know what they want for it, as my recent experience was that I had to damn near give it away.

I was staying away from the HSE specifically because of the 19" wheels. Assuming that it comes with the Badyear HP's, I'll need to change them pretty quickly because I live at 8,500 feet and we get a lot of snow. Our 2000 Disco had HP's and they are just awfull.

T

toddjb123

Hmmmmm, didn't know that. I am counting on this truck for snow driving in the winter. What don't you like about the HSE tires?

Any other tires anyonw would recommend for the 19" wheels?

For me the HSE was the only option...I needed the extra seat adjustments to raise the seat and give me leg room. Maybe that's standard on non-HSE 2006 LR3s. Wasn't an option in 2005.

-todd

A

avick

In the 19" size, there's only a couple of different tires available, AFAIK. Goodyear Wrangler HP's and the Michelin Synchrones are about the only two, and maybe Pirelli. None of them work well in snow, and since we get about 300"'s a year, that's important.

In the 18" size, I can get Wrangler HP All Weather, or Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow.

This all assumes the Goodyear Wrangler HP tread design hasn't changed in 2 or 3 years. Does anyone know if it has?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
toddjb123 said:
For me the HSE was the only option...I needed the extra seat adjustments to raise the seat and give me leg room. Maybe that's standard on non-HSE 2006 LR3s. Wasn't an option in 2005.

-todd
'06 SE has 8-way drivers now (like HSE), unlike '05. They listened, at least partially. (Lost the lumbar adjustment!)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112