Starter help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
My starter recently died. I planned on a rebuild so I took it apart to find the brushes almost completely gone. No prob, I'll order a rebuild kit. Wrong. Couldnt find one for the 93' so I ordered a new unit off ebay. Installed it and all I get is a click. Took it out and down to local auto store, they put in on the tester and its good. Brought it home, reinstalled it.......click!!
I researched the site and found the common started problems; battery, dirty connection. So I cleaned the connections (at the starter unit and the frame rail, the battery terminal and the chassis and frame rail and every other contact point I could find), charged the battery, even tried jumping it and still only a click. Any ideas........?

Thanks

Jake

93' RRC LWB 120,000 mi.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First are you sure it is the correct unit and is it wired correctly?

Did you disconnect the battery when you changed the starter?

With it in the vehicle can you hot jump it? i.e. the old screwdriver method?

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Well, Im assuming its the right unit. It looks identical, the #'s stamped into the unit match the OEM unit and it fit like a glove.

Yes, I diss the battery and sorry I dont know the screwdriver trick. (but Id love to learn)

Thanks

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
"I got going with a jumper switch I carry in the tool kit, and my later diagnostic efforts narrowed the the problem to a relay on the firewall that supplies the starter solenoid." (taken from supplied site link)

Where might I find this relay?

I looked at the link on the bottom of your sig but it does not show the Rave manual available to DL for the RRC.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The RRC (sort of) is in the Rave with the Disco/RR, it starts at the 89 Model year, but info is real close to the same.

Does yours have the solenoid as part of the starter? Not sure on your model year off the top of my head. If it is part of the starter, then it may be a bad relay. If the solenoid is not part of the starter, then follow the power lead to the firewall.

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Yes the sol is part of the unit. Even if I had the unit tested at an auto parts store and it checked out okay, is it possible that once in the car it wouldnt work? Is the install method different than the test method?

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
if part of the starter, than that shouldn't be the issue... I would start checking the fuses and the starter relay.

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
I DL'ed the workshop manual but it does not show location of relays. Where can I find the starter relay?

Thanks

ShadeTree93'

Reaction score
Okay. I got the right manual (sort of, its definitely not 93' specific). I figured out where the starter relay is and swapped it with an identical one. No difference. Loud click of the solinoid engaging but no crank. Checked the fuses and all are good. Now what?

Thanks

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge