State Inspection, flashers, brakes and bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nopathatall

Reaction score
I am transferring my 1998 Discovery series 1, 4.0L AT from TX to VA. I failed State Inspection for the following:

1) Flashers on both front bumper sides not working:
I replaced the bulbs and both sides are not working. Any ideas? It looks like I could splice leads into the front flashers but I hate to do that unless there is no other way. I am hoping there is a known fix to this.

2) Replace Brake Pads front and back:
This will be the first time for me to do this. Any tips? Any good on-line step by step directions?

3) Garage clains front wheel bearings loose:
How do I fix this?

It also needs the condenser fans replaced, I have replaced both with salvage units in the past but neither work now. Any suggestions on an aftermarket solution?

it needs constant attention to keep the various leaks under control.

I do as much of the work as possible since the nearest delaer is over 100 miles away in Roanoke and they are too expensive anyway.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First, where in VA are you located if I may ask?

Second... check for voltage at the bulb sockets... could be corrosion issue.

Third, Brakes Try this:

Step 1) Loose wheel lug nuts

Step 2) Jack up correct side of the truck. Using a floor jack here is best instead of the bottle jack since you can just lock the floor jack in place. Also use a jack stand to support the Disco's weight.

Step 3) Remove road wheel (and use as a chair for the next 3 hrs )

Step 4) Remove brake Caliper. This is done by removing the two bolts (one at the top and the other at the bottom end of the caliper) These bolts are a 13mm and require a 12 pt socket. These bolts are loctite'd in so you will need to use some sort of "cheater" bar or impact wrench to loosen them. I used a piece of 1 inch aluminum conduit about 8 inches long to slide over my socket wrench. These are a B*tch to get off so be patient! Once the caliper is removed you will need to raise it up just enough to clear the rotor, but not too high otherwise you will bend the metal brake line going to the caliper. I zip tied mine to the top of the wheel well. The brake line had enough play in it to hang nicely out of the way. Now change the Brake pads.

To change wheel bearings or tighten them continue by:

Step 4) Remove the rubber cover over the axle stub end and remove the lock ring and washers under it as well. Make sure that you keep these together for the re-install.

Step 5) Once the rubber cover and lock ring, etc, have been removed you will remove the 6 bolts to the hub cover. These are a 17mm regular socket. These will also be a pain to remove as they are loctited on as well. You will need to clean the bolts with a wire brush to remove the loctite before re-loctiting them and re-installing.

Step 6) Now you will be to the hub nuts and washers. It is best to use a hub nut tool, but I used a pair of 2 ½ inch Channel Locks and had no problems with the removal or install. In all there are two bolts and 2 lock rings that will need to be removed in order to pull the rotor off the axle. Make sure that you keep them in the correct order for re-install.

Step 7) Once the locknuts and rings have been removed you should be able to pull the rotor and bearings right off of the axle. A little elbow grease may be required here but it should slide off fairly easily. Once the rotor and innards are removed you will see the bearings (inner and outer). The inner bearing also has a rubber hub seal that will need to be removed before you are able to access the rear bearing. This seal must be replaced with a new one. Anyway, you will probably tear the old one removing it like I did The tough part of the install from here is the bearings race removals and re-install of the new races. Pay attention to how the rings are installed so that when you get ready to put the new rings in you will install them in the correct direction.

Step 8) The Rover wheel bearings are not sized so it does not matter which you install where (outer or inner). After the bearing has been removed, you will need to tap out the bearing ring (race, ring, cup, cone or whatever you choose to call it! :) ) This will be fairly tough since they are a tight fit but I was able to get them out with the use of a large flat-blade screwdriver and ball pen hammer. A medium sized punch or drift pin works well if you have the right one. Just take your time and don't be afraid the give a heavy hit. There is a small lip in the back of each ring that allows you to get a screwdriver tip on to help in hammering the ring out. Keep these rings as you will need them for the re-install of the new bearing rings.

Step 9) Now you will need to install the new bearing rings. This can be accomplished by using the old rings as a hammering surface to install the new bearing rings. Place the new bearing rings squarely in place and use the old ring to hammer the new ring into place. Be sure that the ring seats properly into the rotor and is hammered completely into place. You will see how far the ring needs to be hammered in and if it you have seated it properly. (in other words it can only be hammered in so far. Make sure that it's in there all the way and seated correctly) Then you will need to hammer out the old ring, that you used as a guide, to use again for the back bearing ring. Then repeat the process on the back bearing making sure tat it is seated correctly and hammer in completely.

Step 10) Now you are ready to grease and install the new bearings. You can get High Temp bearing grease from any auto parts place for about $2.00. This will be more that you will ever need in lifetime but it's the smallest container that they had. Make sure that you completely coat and pack grease into the new bearings before re-installing them. This is VERY important as it will help the life of bearings. If your in doubt about how much grease to put in , then you probably need more grease! Anyway, insert the bearings, remembering the re-install of your rear rubber hub gasket on the rear bearing.

Then just reverse the tear down process to put everything back together remembering to install the inner rubber hub seal to hold the inner bearing, clean and loctite the caliper bolts and 6 hub cover bolts before re-installing.

Condenser fans, I would say just buy a set that fit or can be made to fit from your local auto parts store.

nopathatall

Reaction score
Update

Thanks Joey for the info, here is where I am at on this:

1) the flashers have power but each has no ground. Is there a common ground? If not I will ground each near each flasher.

2) I have removed the front wheels, calipers and bearing retainer. I need to rebuild the calipers and tighten the hub nuts, in additon to replacing the brake pads. BTW for newbies it is not necessary to remove the calipers to replace the brake pads.

3) I don't think the brearings are bad but there is a brushing noise in the axle when I spin the passenger side fornt wheel. A passerby told me it was a bushing in the axle?

You asked about my location which is in Bluefield VA, next to Bluefield WV at exit 1 on I77.

Thanks for all of your help!

Phil

Last edited:

nopathatall

Reaction score
Speaking of ECU's

I blew up my ECU testing my condenser fans a few years ago, I think I ran power back up thru a low voltage line. Anyway after replacing various relays I realized it was my ECU. I bought one for $125 from a salvage yard in Queens, NY while I was travelling on business. I plugged it in and all problems were solved. I learned three lessons from this experience:

1) Be very careful with all things electrical on the Disco.
2) God looks out for fools, otherwise the replacement ECU would have caused nothing but more problems.
3) Fix it yourself, even with the inevitabvle mistakes it can never cost more than a Land Rover Dealer repair.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
On the land rover yes, you have to remove the caliper to change the pads.

The reason I ask about the location, I am in Beckley often and I now have a customer in Welch and Bluefield WV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge