Staying ahead on maintenance + life expectancy of key components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Reaction score
All,

I've read the threads about the weak spots/failure points of the LR3 and would like to put together a rough life expectancy schedule for various components not listed in the normal maintenance section of the owners manual, along with a FAQ so I can be prepared or perhaps do the work before it's needed.

Very pleased that unlike the D2 I had I probably won't have to plan for head gaskets, oil pump failures and driveshaft failures that take out the transmission, but there seems to be at least a few items on the LR3 worth watching or replacing early. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the life expectancy of the things on the list below, assuming normal driving habits, a dry climate, and occasional moderate wheeling. I'd also appreciate knowing about any items not on the list. maybe we can make a sort of unofficial preventative maintenance schedule for folks who want to keep their LR3 going for 250K, as I plan to.

1. Control arms - 75K?
  2. CV boots - 100K?
  3. Cooling system hoses - 10 years or 120K?
  4. Thermostat - 7 years or 100K?
  5. Driveshaft/universal joints - 100K? - any maintenance required?
  6. Wheel bearing repack - 100K?
  7. Tie rod ends - 100k?
  8. Suspension air bag/struts - 100K?
  9. Air compressor - 50K?

I'd be happy to compile what we end up with into a FAQ or living document worthy of a sticky. I'll also keep poring over the existing threads to pull out nuggets. There is a great one for the Isuzu Rodeo that's helped me keep mine going for 200K so far and it has been a Godsend over the years. The problems thread at the top of this forum will be a source of good info for me, but it lacks a summary, which is what I have in mind. Now that many of these trucks are getting onto the 100K plus club and warranties are ending, I can see a need for a good reference. If those of you with lists of stuff you've replaced and stuff you're watching would be kind of enough to post, we should start getting a good collection of stuff I can use as a source for the document.

Also- if you would be kind enough to post any DIY instructions you either used or put together to do any work, that would be HUGE.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great list Dave! I have 40k on mine and have already done 2 of those 9. Control arms
(front lowers) lots of trail time, thermostat, was stuck replaced today. I would hope the rest would be true to your list.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think , that inner tie rods are on the weak side in our cars.I have replaced mine at 60.000 along with front lower control arms.Throttle body is another thing to look for if check engine light and stalling persists,obviously it all depends on combination of fault codes, but i hear from my friend at LR is pretty common these days.As always it depends on pure luck on the specific car, their are some guys on Disco forum, that have almost 300.000 miles on diesel disco3,but that is after all another engine...same other components though..

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control arms - 75K? I'd say 50k ish depending on type of use
CV boots - 100K? This one is hit and miss
Cooling system hoses - 10 years or 120K? Agree
Thermostat - 7 years or 100K? I'd say more like 50-60k especially in the cooler climates
Driveshaft/universal joints - 100K? - any maintenance required? Don't know here
Wheel bearing repack - 100K? again not sure
Tie rod ends - 100k? I haven't had any problems
Suspension air bag/struts - 100K? I'd give these 10 years tops but I don't want a failure on the trail.
Air compressor - 50K? Agree

On the air spring I just had fail due to an outside failure, the bladder itself looked really good. I would say it could easily get another 5 years out of it except for the puncture!!!

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the airbags can go at least 150,000 miles, but probably 10 year max life? I think the control arm bushings should be replaced between 15k and 30k depending on how you use your LR3.

brake pads, 15,000 - 20,000 miles
brake discs, 30,000 - 40,000 miles
Don't forget OEM Goodyear Wrangler HP's = 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first :)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...a lot of this stuff should be "inspect" every X miles. I'm not sure why the control arms would be needing replaced? Mine look fine...I've only heard of them being replaced when the bushings are so shot that they can't be replaced.

MAF Sensor definitely needs to be looked at every 60k, as mentioned above. I'd recommend doing the front diff TSB replacing the breather cap. I did it yesterday and got the oil replaced for $108.

Tie rod bushings in the rear, too....replace every 60k thereabouts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM