Steam Cleaning of Engine / Undercarriage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of having my engine bay and undercarriage steam cleaned and was wondering if anyone has had it done by a professional? Any issues? I am most nervous about the engine bay, but I think I am going to do the undercarriage before I install my new sliders/skids.

Any advice? Experience?

Thanks!

Regards, David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my advice is don't do it unless you really have to. I had my lexus engine bay "steam cleaned" by a professional and had some electrical issues afterwards which disappeared after a few weeks. I think heated moisture under pressure will get into various electrical components and cause issues. I will not do it on my LR4. I have pressure washed the engine bay before with no issue but not steam wash.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my advice is don't do it unless you really have to. I had my lexus engine bay "steam cleaned" by a professional and had some electrical issues afterwards which disappeared after a few weeks. I think heated moisture under pressure will get into various electrical components and cause issues. I will not do it on my LR4. I have pressure washed the engine bay before with no issue but not steam wash.
Thanks!

Yeah, I am very much on the fence about doing the engine bay - likely will not. These guys seem like professionals, but still - you never know. I actually use low pressure water spray on my engine bay and then run the engine for a while and it's fine.

I think I am fine having the undercarriage done though - that should not affect anything. What do you think?

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually use low pressure water spray on my engine bay and then run the engine for a while and it's fine.

Next time, try spraying a generous amount of Simple Green (engine must be cold) and let it do its thing for 10 minutes or so before rinsing the engine bay with a very low pressure garden hose, little more than a sprinkle / shower really. Simple Green truly works wonders to safely degrease and clean engine bays, it's a pretty amazing product and I was very skeptical at first when this was suggested to me, but it does work. It's non toxic as well, so you don't have to worry about runoff in your drain. I'd keep steam cleaners and even a high pressures water hose away from the engine bay as well, especially the area near the battery and fuse box.

Here is a good tutorial from my "other" forum (RRS): http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/42879-cleaning-engine.html

Undercarriage should be no problem.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got about 50 pounds of salt on my LR4 from this nutty winter. It's been below zero for what seems like months. I wish I could clean it.

*sigh*. Spring will be nice.

Matt

Reaction score
You can pop the hood and give the engine compartment a gentle rinse and towel dry. Careful when using chemicals while they have the ability to loosen grime and oil they can also dry out rubber and plastic in some cases certain chemicals will act as a lubricant and loosen hose clamps and screws etc…

As for the undercarriage and the nasty salt/road grime buildup, you might try bilge cleaner. Costs a few bucks and is formulated to be used in engine compartments and on metal and plastic surfaces. It will help break down the salt. I used to used it to clean the engine compartment and bilge in my boat, safe, non toxic and biodegradable. Put the cleaner in one of those garden sprayers that attach to your hose, crawl under and have at it. Be sure to wear eye protection.

Best of luck.

Matt

Reaction score
Next time, try spraying a generous amount of Simple Green (engine must be cold) and let it do its thing for 10 minutes or so before rinsing the engine bay with a very low pressure garden hose, little more than a sprinkle / shower really. Simple Green truly works wonders to safely degrease and clean engine bays, it's a pretty amazing product and I was very skeptical at first when this was suggested to me, but it does work. It's non toxic as well, so you don't have to worry about runoff in your drain. I'd keep steam cleaners and even a high pressures water hose away from the engine bay as well, especially the area near the battery and fuse box.

Here is a good tutorial from my "other" forum (RRS): http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/42879-cleaning-engine.html

Undercarriage should be no problem.

Simple Green word of caution directly off their website.

When used with caution and according to the instructions, Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner has been safely and successfully used to clean aluminum. Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner, Crystal Simple Green Industrial Cleaner & Degreaser, and Simple Green Pressure Washer Concentrates have been used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys!!!

This is incredibly helpful. I appreciate the input.

I am definitely not going to have the engine steam cleaned or pressure washed, I will check out Umberto's link for details. I have used simple green before and it works really well, but I make sure it's completely washed away with a low pressure hose.

I am going to keep my appointment to have my undercarriage steam cleaned, as I agree that should be no problem. I really want to clean it well before installing all my T44 skids and sliders.

Thanks!!!!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How dirty is your engine and underbody? Pics?
My engine isn't bad, though pretty dirty toward the bottom. I try to spray it down after off roading, but it's usually dusty and last weekend was lots of mud.

The undercarriage is still pretty dirty, even though I power washed it a few times. That's usually enough for me, but since I will be installing tactical 4x4 sliders and plates, I wanted to do a good cleaning.

I will try to snap some pics tonight ;) but I do have a pic of my sliders, etc covered in mud, which gives a preview of how bad....

Will post soon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72