Stock Conti's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFLR4

Reaction score
Just had to day this...There is so much written complaining about the stock Conti tires. I get all the physics and other tire stuff...but they have never missed a beat for me through many rough spots in the AZ desert, and have worn above my expectation. There is a time and place for everything, including the correct tire. Having had big MT's on my previous Wrangler, I'm well aware of this. The tire needs to match the terrain, purpose, etc. I must say though, they have handled everything better than I expected based on what so many complain about.

Still planning on making the switch to 18's and BFGs for all the right reasons, yet wanted to give a shout-out to the Conti's for their service thus far.

All in my humble opinion of course...

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I never really had much of an issue with the stock conti's. Of course, they weren't the best tire but I did get 50k miles out of them.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though I switched to AT tires in 18. I have to say that the Contis performed just fine in most situation.
The only time, they made me feel unsafe was on snow. Fortunately with low speed and careful attention to the environment, it all went well.
Just drove a RRS Supercharged with Contis on in VT and they performed just fine on pretty difficult terrain.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had nothing against them until I saw how poorly the car handled on rain-slicked and snowy roads. It got worse on small hills. I switched to Nokian WRG2's and noticed an improvement even on dry flat surfaces. Can't blame Land Rover for using them, they're just not the best choice for inclement weather.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wet roads, any snow, gravel, dirt... they are not good at all.

In super dry (Desert) or road conditions, you could drive slicks and get by most of the time, if you dont slice the wimpy sidewalls on them.

Land rover looks to be putting racing slicks on the discovery sport. *shrug*

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In super dry (Desert) or road conditions, you could drive slicks and get by most of the time, if you dont slice the wimpy sidewalls on them...

Disagree with the desert comment. I used the Contis here in the desert (soft sugary sand) and they managed just fine, but had no real "bite" to them. Accelleration up dune faces resulted in quite a lot of wheel spin and an overall floaty feel.

Moving up to the Nitto Dune Grapplers was like night and day. Accelleration up a dune face will actually feel a stong pull in the back of the seat. Huge difference in desert performance!

TXLR4

Reaction score
Having just replaced them...I can't say I'd ever but them again (in fact i didnt). For the cost...I don't think you get your money's worth. The sidewalls do really suck...sooooo soft.

From a ride perspective...they were great...no doubt about it you got a soft cushy feel...but at nearly $300/tire and 30-40k miles...aint worth it.

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having just replaced them...I can't say I'd ever but them again (in fact i didnt). For the cost...I don't think you get your money's worth. The sidewalls do really suck...sooooo soft.

From a ride perspective...they were great...no doubt about it you got a soft cushy feel...but at nearly $300/tire and 30-40k miles...aint worth it.

Yeah I much prefer the Michelin Latitude Tour HPs that I replaced them with.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never had an issue with the stock Conti's but when I switched to the Michelin Latitudes the track on snow was significantly better and they were a bit quieter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9