Stock wheels are not steel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of people are suggesting i buy steel wheels. This comes after i mention that i JUST bought my LR4 and from what i can tell, it is all stock. The rims have the land rover logo and everything. So I am now assuming that these suggestions mean that the stock rims are not steel. Is that correct?

also, just so i can understand it better. What are the pros and cons of moving from my stock 19”s to steel 18”s?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your stock wheels are aluminum.

The benefit of moving to 18" wheels are a lot better choice in off road tire selection, and more rubber between the rim and the ground.

If you never drive off road, it probably shouldn't be a concern to you. If you do go off road, you can buy steel 18" wheels, buy aluminum 18" wheels from either Compomotive or Mudtech, or buy 18" aluminum wheels from an LR3 and use a 1.25" wheel spacer.

Natassia

Reaction score
Hey, yes the stock wheels for LR4 are alloy 19". Nice looking rims but challenging to get decent rubber if you are going to go off-road. There is a much wider tire selection available in 18". There are definite benefits and considerations with both steel and alloy. Steel is heavier, but when dented can be repaired on the trails with a bit of persuasion from a hammer (not pretty but will get you home) and can also be repaired properly by steel rim repairers. Plus they are also quite affordable.
Alloys look 'prettier', and are lighter, but they don't deform like steel, they crack, so once they go they go and cannot be repaired (beyond scrapes and gutter rash that is). They are also more expensive.

My profile pic is of a TuffAnt 18" steel wheel coupled with Hankook RF11 265/65/18 tires (TuffAnt - www.tuffantusa.com). No spacers or mods required.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72