Strange stereo issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed it's just a software issue. It's kind of weird the way it happened though, as you were driving and everything was apparently working fine. Normally, software hiccups to the infotainment system are evident from the very moment you start the car - screen freezes, audio doesn't work, etc - they don't pop up while you are already on your way.

FWIW, to perform a full / hard battery reset, after waiting at least 2 minutes and then disconnecting the negative lead like you did (I guess that would be considered a "soft" reset?), the shop manual says you should also disconnect the positive lead from the battery. Then, touch the two disconnected leads together - use the metal shaft of a screwdriver or similar tool as the leads will probably not be long enough to reach across the battery - and reconnect positive and negative leads (in that order) to the respective battery posts. This should insure a more thorough reset / discharge / whatchamacallit of the various electronic modules.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

It's still doing fine as of lunch today. We'll see if it acts up on my next long trip, which may not be for a few weeks or months.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to update this thread in case anyone else ever has the same problem, the problem never came back for me after I did the reset by disconnecting, then reconnecting the battery.

I spoke with a service guy at my dealer the day before I was to bring it in, and he recommended not bringing it in unless it happened again. More than two weeks after my reset, everything is still functioning fine.

Will update if anything weird happens again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72