Strange stereo issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2012 HSE. I believe it just has the base stereo.

Nearing the end of a 3 hour drive tonight, during which the wife and I were listening to a podcast from my phone connected via cable to the stereo through the port under the armrest, the stereo suddenly stopped playing the podcast and made a high-pitched, continuous buzzing sound. Initially thought the podcast was jacked up, but the sound continued no matter the source we selected on my iPhone.

While still driving, I turned off the stereo, then turned it back on. No sound at all was coming now. I turned the source to "radio," and still no sound, nor would it let me even change the radio station.

When we arrived home, I turned the vehicle off, thinking that a vehicle restart would fix the problem. After we unloaded all of our stuff (about 5 to 10 minutes), I restarted the LR4. Now, the "Audio/Video" button on the top of the display is dim, acting as if it were a "dead" button that cannot be selected. No sound is being played at all.

Based on some other threads I found on here, I tried turning off the car again, locking the doors, waiting a few minutes, then restarting. Same issue.

No error messages are appearing anywhere.

Thoughts?

The LR4 is CPO, so I'll be taking it in tomorrow or Tuesday if the problem persists.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also discovered that the navigation doesn't work. Although it allows me to select the navigation option, once I get past the legal disclaimer it states that it is searching for a signal. It's as if the head unit somehow got disconnected from everything.

I looked at the external antenna on the rear of the LR4 and everything looks fine.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be something vibrated loose over time from the back? Hopefully nothing electronically broken. LR would charge a fortune for a new unit / module. If it comes down to that, I would scour scrap yards for a replacement.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's certified pre-owned, so it should be covered.

Made an appointment this morning; they cannot get me in until February 1.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even more shena****ns. Backed out of my parking spot in my work parking garage, and the proximity sensor screen stayed on the entire remainder of my short trip, regardless of whether I pushed the button that would normally make it go away.

When I returned to work, I didn't have to put it in reverse and the screen was back to the same weirdness it had earlier (with the dim, non-selectable "Audio/Video" button).

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I had to reverse out of my work parking garage again tonight, the proximity sensor screen was stuck on again. (I did notice, however, that the rear camera feature was working when I backed out.) About halfway home I pushed the "rear camera" button and the screen just went black, not to come on again.

When I got home I thought I would mess with it some more. I disconnected the negative terminal of the battery for about 20 to 30 seconds, then reconnected it. That seems to have reset something--the head unit seems to work fine now; the radio, bluetooth, navigation... I haven't tried the iPod-USB cable yet, but will the next time I drive somewhere.

Weird.

Should I take this as a sign that I need a new battery?

Not sure how old the current one is, but it's the Interstate model that the dealers are using as replacements. I've owned this LR4 for a year, so it's at least that old.

I'll keep my appointment at the dealer for now, just in case the ghosts return.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think the battery would cause that, since your first hiccup occurred while you were driving and not at startup. Sounds like an issue with the head unit, perhaps some wiring harness got wet and shorted out, or you have loose connections or bad ground somewhere in the infotainment system. Any... rodents in your garage? I'm hoping that the battery reset fixes it for good.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I park outside. Will probably be building a garage within the year, but don't have one that the LR4 will fit in now (my house was built when everyone drove Model Ts). That said, I haven't ever seen a sign of rodents around my car.

I was down at my parents' house over the weekend, and parked in their garage. I'm sure their garage is rodent-free (my dad wouldn't tolerate rodents with his classic cars).

I did wash my car yesterday. Maybe the air dryer at the end blew some water in a place where water normally doesn't go? It was strange, though, that the stereo worked fine last night for about 2.5 hours (and one pit-stop) before it started acting wonky.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a software issue to me, unless this occurs again soon (due to hardware).. i would attribute it to some type of software/runtime glitch that was reset with all the other modules when you removed power.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems right. I would think that a system "short" would rear its head sooner rather than later.

I would have last "reset" the power in late September when I disconnected the battery while I installed a dashcam.

Oh well. I'll see if it happens again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72