Stuck.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there I was enjoying my new freedom in my LR4 (just replaced my BMW X6) and as I was crossing an empty field, I got caught in a rut and got stuck. Now I am sure most of this was operator error, but it brought to light several issues. First, no tow rope.
Second, stock tires.....

So in an effort to be more prepared and to blame something other than operator, I am about to pull the trigger on rims and tires. I know there are a ton of threads, but mainly I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Since I have 19" rims, I will be purchasing a nice black set of 18" rims from Compomotive and wrapping them with either Terra Grappler (255/55R18) or General Grabber AT2 (255/60R18)

Am I missing something (aside from driving lessons)?

Last edited:

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry to hear about being stuck but what you plan to do should be able to get you out of 99% of the situation.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not go to the 255/55-18's as that is an inch less than stock (29" vs. 30").

You can also go up to a 265/60-18, which I use to run with Yoko AT-S's. These have the best road manners for a more aggressive and dirt -biased AT tire that I have experienced.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not go to the 255/55-18's as that is an inch less than stock (29" vs. 30").

You can also go up to a 265/60-18, which I use to run with Yoko AT-S's. These have the best road manners for a more aggressive and dirt -biased AT tire that I have experienced.

Do the Yoko require and fender well modifications?

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 2006 LR3 OE wheels there was absolutely no issues with rubbing or modifications needed. Offhand from years of perusing these and other boards, there are no issues with rubbing until you go past a 265 and/or a 31" tire with OE wheels. Afternmarket wheels differ with width and/or offset.

You might also just consider sticking with the OE 19" wheels and putting an OE spec Cooper, General or Pirelli ATR. Most folks who go with an 18" wheel are doing so to gain access to oversize tires and somewhat better selection.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
When considering larger tires take into account whether you ever plan to fit tire chains…

discotwinturbo

Reaction score
I have Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60-18 wrapped around my Compomotive rims. I put them on when I go bush or for touring. Much more aggressive then the factory wranglers and significantly stronger side walls.
Locking the D4 in rock crawl, raising the suspension to max with the LLAMS and dropping pressure has seen me get out of just about all bogs and ruts. If not, I pull out the maxtrax and very easily crawl my way out. Have always go myself out with this combo.
I previously had a 2004 Nissan Patrol which I don't think you have in the US ? Had front and rear lockers, 33's and the D4 has gone everywhere the Patrol did, and much easier.
Brett.....

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

bgsntth, I was planning on keeping my OEM 19" as my daily driving tire since i typically do 150+ miles a day in my commute.

Captian, Thanks but I am not sure when i will see snow as mostly i will be riding the trails in Florida.

Disco, The LLAMS looks interesting. I was looking at the IIDTool but this is an alternative.

discotwinturbo

Reaction score
The IID tool looks great. For the convenience and rapid adjustment of the LLAMS was my preference. Shift on the fly and whenever I feel like it. I run 20mm below normal ride height with the factory tyres, and 30mm above with the Coopers, then all the other settings all on call.
Was at the lights the other day going to a 4wd show/expo. She was sitting 20 below. A fourby driver next to me was talking about how low it was. I then hit the LLAMS lift to plus 50, and factory switch to offroad, and she rose 120mm....I was then sitting higher then him. He did not know what to say. A priceless moment.
Brett.....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM