Sudden Acceleration While Parking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greg00

Reaction score
@ktm: Please read before trolling. Nobody mentioned anything about engine overcoming the brake.

LR3 in Europe. 99% drive Diesel here and I was hoping to get some help since you guys all have V8‘s. I guess you didn‘t know that V8 exist here.
But I can see that you‘re not very much into European cars. I’ll better stick to UK community. Thanks anyway.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually I just meant that it's not called "LR3" in Europe so it makes you sound full of hot air. You are only serving to confirm that feeling, with the above response. I asked you specific questions....why not answer them?

Here is one suggestion: Take it into Command Shift; try manually downshifting as you come to a stop, even at speeds that will get the RPMs to go up considerably (like dropping into 1st from 20mph or so) and see if that doesn't feel the same as what you're experiencing.

....I'm trying to help you; don't be a ****** (that's my best British-speak).

Last edited:

greg00

Reaction score
Sorry but this ktm guy was only insulting. I‘d love to get back to topic.

Enginge revs up usually when I slow down to less than 5mph.
And it happens when I press the brakes to come to a complete halt.
The first time I was thinking that I hit the gas pedal by accident since I was surprised. But since I‘ve been experience this behavor for at least 10 more times, I can confirm that it has nothing to do with accidently hitting the gas. It revs up to about 3000-4000rpm. By then I need to push the brakes hard for about 2 seconds before enginge slows down.
Any idea?

greg00

Reaction score
btw my D3 is indeed a LR3. A german guy brought it back to Europe when he moved here after living in the states. And since V8‘s are really really rare I jumped on the deal as soon as I saw the advertisement.

greg00

Reaction score
The strange thing is it never happens, when just driving like stopping at a light or so. It only happens when your driving very slow like while parking, even in reverse gear.
It must sound very bizare which it actually is. I read on disco3.co.uk that there‘s a ECU update about the California Stop but haven‘t got the chance to research more.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The California Stop enhancement (I think it was called "B034" by Land Rover) was meant to correct a sudden lurch while doing a rolling stop, hence the name....rolling stops were made famous in CA. Anyway...if you came to a complete stop, then proceeded, you might never experience it.

My questions were meant to focus on engine RPMs versus actual forward acceleration. If I manual shift, it's completely normal for my engine to rev up as I slow down...and it might even feel momentarily that I'm being propelled forward as the tranny goes from one gear to the next, but that's not the case. Sounds like your situation could be normal but with some harsh shifting.

How many miles? Have you had your tranny serviced lately?

greg00

Reaction score
115k miles
I did a megaflush recently hoping to cure the problem.
It‘s not the kind of engine revs up when down shifting manually. I do this a lot to slow down on alpine roads when going downhill.
At less than 5mph while parking and slowing down even more, engine moves around 1000rpm. Even with down shifting there shouldn‘t be a relevant forward acceleration because of that.
Belive me, when the car rev up it would shoot forward if I didn‘t brake.

greg00

Reaction score
When I saw the post about the V8 it made me remember that is a Jag engine and so I searched for Jaguar sudden accelleration and here is a whole page of it happening to the XJ. No solution though other than typical LR/Jaguar denying anything is wrong.

https://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/16214/jaguar/xj-series/jaguar-xj-series-sudden-acceleration/p2

Thanks for the link.
This made me search for more and I found this one:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/sudden-acceleration-syndrome-sas-97712/page2/

This sounds very similar to what my car is doing.
They mentioned cold temperature - I‘m also having this issue mostly in winter below 5 degree celsius.
And he also said that the engine revs up when hitting the brakes. Same here.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah....really hard to glean anything from those random posts. What I like about these forums is that there is a continuity in posters/members and after a while you learn the various personalities as well as who is trustworthy or not.

Very hard to diagnose your issue without experiencing it. I'd try as best you can to document every last symptom and how to replicate, then take it to the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA