Supercharger Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strizzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What we need as community for more oomph is an option to re-gear these pigs once we start bolting larger tires on them. More power is cool too, but damn, I wish there were some options for gearing.

the gearing on the scv6 in 1st and 2nd is so low I doubt it would be needed unless you managed to wedge 35s under it. Mine feels plenty low even in hi range, low range is silly low especially since the low range is nearly 3:1 but then again I haven’t done much crawling with it yet.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the gearing on the scv6 in 1st and 2nd is so low I doubt it would be needed unless you managed to wedge 35s under it. Mine feels plenty low even in hi range, low range is silly low especially since the low range is nearly 3:1 but then again I haven’t done much crawling with it yet.

Mine is on 33.5s now and the gearing is noticeable IMO, and once I wear these out I plan to try and wedge a full 34, if not a little bigger under there.

The gears are one of the few areas we have zero options other than stock.

Just a long-time wishlist item for me.

Strizzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is on 33.5s now and the gearing is noticeable IMO, and once I wear these out I plan to try and wedge a full 34, if not a little bigger under there.

The gears are one of the few areas we have zero options other than stock.

Just a long-time wishlist item for me.

with the 8 speed, first gear is a 4.7:1 ratio vs the 6 speed's 4.17 ratio, so with the axle ratio and low range being the same, is the equivalent of a 4:1 axle ratio instead of the 3.54. Not exactly 4.56s, but its not nothing.

Mattz06

Reaction score
Hi - I have a slight rattle while running but a bit of a larger rattle when the vehicle turns off. 2014 Range Rover sport with the 3.0 supercharged engine so imagine the issue is the same. Do you know what happens when the supercharger isolator fails? We have 73k miles on the car and might be selling at 80-85k so any advice would be appreciated. Really debating on doing the dealer route which will be very expensive so not sure what to do. Thank you all!

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - I have a slight rattle while running but a bit of a larger rattle when the vehicle turns off. 2014 Range Rover sport with the 3.0 supercharged engine so imagine the issue is the same. Do you know what happens when the supercharger isolator fails? We have 73k miles on the car and might be selling at 80-85k so any advice would be appreciated. Really debating on doing the dealer route which will be very expensive so not sure what to do. Thank you all!

it is a $12 coupler and an easy repair. Don’t go to the dealer. The oem coupler has torsion springs in it that crack over time. The replacement it solid. Buy the coupler and some supercharger oil. Have an Indy replace both. Done.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a $12 coupler and an easy repair. Don’t go to the dealer. The oem coupler has torsion springs in it that crack over time. The replacement it solid. Buy the coupler and some supercharger oil. Have an Indy replace both. Done.

Fuji4, I've got the SC rattle on my wife's 2015. Is the "Coupler" and the "Isolater" that Ed talks about in your earlier post the same part?

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So looks like I am going to pull the SC, as well as replace the front and rear heater pipes. Since you basically just completed this, is there anything else that should be done, and do you have an updated list of steps, or "lessons learned"?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@timc930 how many miles are on your wife's 2015?

If over 60,000 I would recommend replacing the passenger side valve cover while the supercharger is off. It will be more work, because you will have to remove that bank of injectors, but I think you would be more annoyed if you had to pull the supercharger a second time when the PCV valve fails.

Here is a good step by step for the snout removal

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xfr-x250-44/supercharger-coupler-isolator-diy-179095/

Thanks for the link.

She’s right at 60k now. Yeah I was reading that I need to do the PCV. I was going to try and just pull the SC nose but I think I’ll just pull the complete SC and do everything. I am hoping I can wait until fall for this to get another project (97 NAS) out of the way first and then just take my time with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM