Suspension tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Experimenting a bit with front camber and toe-in settings after replacing a LCA. How much toe-in does LR specify? Camber? How much in inches or millimeters?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea, but...why wouldn't you just take it to an alignment shop?

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup apparently this is a thing. I aligned it twice before knowing about tight tolerance mode and they could never get it right. Can do this with IID tool. In the Service/Suspension menu.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing I paid for lifetime alignments.

What does this do, and how much of a difference does it make? I thought alignment like this was completely a hardware issue, provided that it is done at the correct suspension height. What would software settings have to do with it?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between my LR3 and 4 have had at least 10 alignments. My alignment shop doesn't care if it is TT mode or not. They get it within spec every time.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still on the factory alignment 8 years & 46k miles in. In ~25 years, ~15 cars, and ~400k miles, I've only had two alignments done.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Yes, put it in tight tolerance mode with your Gap iid tool. It locks your suspension in place. When getting an alignment, ask for zero toe and maybe a (negative) 1-1.5 camber at normal height. As you raise the truck the camber goes to zero and then positive. Zero toe for the same reason where your toe can wear out your tires faster.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just having a look at the manual, and saw this gem.

"Ride Height Tolerance Control

The air suspension control module has two ride height tolerance bands; normal tolerance and tight tolerance.

The control module considers the vehicle to be at target height if the current height is within the appropriate tolerance band. Height adjustments are not made until the vehicle height falls outside of the tolerance band for a pre-determined time. The time period is different depending on if the vehicle is moving or stationary. The tolerance bands are as follows:

Normal ± 10 mm Tight ± 3 mm.

The tight tolerance band is only used if set by the Land Rover approved diagnostic system for diagnostic purposes or when the vehicle has been stationary for more than 5 minutes."

As far as my experience goes. I changed out the upper and lower control arms, took the car for an alignment, job done. The, noticed that the front passenger side was wearing faster than the others and on the outside shoulder of the tire.

So thought I'd dig a bit deeper.

Anyway I calibrated the suspension height. The front right was an 1.5 inches higher than the standard height, the others were all a little under. So after the second alignment the car was as dialed in as it could be.

Thought I'd share. Oh, and if you're doing the calibration, run through it a couple of times and exercise the suspension a bit and roll forward and back a few car lengths, you'll be surprised at the difference in the readings, but eventually you'll get it dialed in.

Stu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV