Swirl Marks - The Cure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to ignore all the sarcasm and ******** above for a sec.

Any idea why the clear was so thin on it? That seems really odd.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you read some autogeek and learn about clay bar and such. If you really want to prep the surface, you need to clay.

Even then, sealant and carnuba can only hide imperfections if it is full of fillers and junk that wont improve the finish really, just masks it.

Unless the clear has already been taken down to extremely low levels by someone with a rotary, you should be able to use a light DA polisher and improve the swirls a lot without taking a lot off.

Little Highjack here, I've used clay since the early 90's and found this through another board..combined with a good DA it makes prep a snap...

http://www.nanoskinusa.com

One of my cars was hit and the body shop decide to cover the whole thing with overspray....took me about 15 minutes to do the whole car and get it perfect. on certain cars (like Porsche) the pad leaves some pretty good "patterns" so you must follow up with a good polish (I like Mezerna FG400 or FS4000), but on harder paints or light colors it's hardly noticeable....

I now hand the controls back to the original pilot.

Matt

Reaction score
Im going to ignore all the sarcasm and ******** above for a sec.

Any idea why the clear was so thin on it? That seems really odd.

No clue why, only in certain areas. I suspect heavy usage of a drive through car wash combined with poor waxing techniques. To be clear, it was an option to polish them out but I wanted to see if I could just hide them with caranuba wax which worked just fine. I am not really sure what the clear coat is supposed to be on these vehicles and we did not bother to take a reading in the door jamb.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep practicing your reading little buddy, one day it will all come together and you can put down those **** and Jane books forever !!

Well I didn't know that we have an amateur comedian that can detail on this forum.

Not sure I have seen many people actually detail and not have before and after pictures to show the problem and the result.

Maybe I need to quit reading/watching all those detailing threads, sites and videos I have been on for the past 3 years while working on my own vehicles and pick up a comic book. Clearly there is more value there.

Thank you though for introducing me to a new brand/product. I will have to do more research to see how well their products work since there are no pictures here to show me.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can we just stop with the drama. Seriously, this thread has reached its quota.

Just stop.

eye.surgeon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skipping clay or a similar product is leaving a lot of contaminants on the paint. You're waxing over a lot of crud.

Matt

Reaction score
Skipping clay or a similar product is leaving a lot of contaminants on the paint. You're waxing over a lot of crud.

Take a closer look at step number 2. Wolfgang Polish enhancer is a cleaner wax. Cleaner waxes are designed to remove contaminents. Wolfgang products have been around for 25 years and have an excellent reputation.

Clay bars works great but they do not help hide the swirl marks. Which was the purpose of the post. Too bad your not a brain surgeon or you might have picked up on that.

Matt

Reaction score
Can we just stop with the drama. Seriously, this thread has reached its quota.

Just stop.

Just turn the thread in as abusive to one of the mods and maybe they will put this thread out of it's misery and delete it. God knows I am getting bored responding to you bunch of **** bags. I'd rather put an ice pick in my ear than have to respond to another one of your know it all, bull crap, condescending attitudes. I am not just referring to you but several other that have responded to this thread.

I took the time to post some useful information as not everybody knows how to properly maintain a car finish. My intentions from the start were to be lighthearted and useful.

Some of you guys are like a bunch of caddy chics on this forum. I'll need to reset my expectations.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turn the thread in as abusive to one of the mods and maybe they will put this thread out of it's misery and delete it. God knows I am getting bored responding to you bunch of **** bags. I'd rather put an ice pick in my ear than have to respond to another one of your know it all, bull crap, condescending attitudes. I am not just referring to you but several other that have responded to this thread.

I took the time to post some useful information as not everybody knows how to properly maintain a car finish. My intentions from the start were to be lighthearted and useful.

Some of you guys are like a bunch of caddy chics on this forum. I'll need to reset my expectations.

Matt:

I'll apologize here and say that I was clearly under the impression that my comment is typically taken as "lighthearted and useful" in other forums where there is a Smiley involved. Clearly when there are no pictures things are hard to understand and can be taken out of context or misunderstood. It seemed like others in the thread understood my lighthearted comment.

I personally wanted to see how bad it was before and what the outcome was after so that if and when I get "pinstripes" down the side of my vehicle this process you listed in your original post could be an option for covering them up if my clear coat is as thin as yours.

My interest in this thread was 100% legitimate until YOU decided to turn things from "lighthearted and useful" to a mudslinging, condescending and worthless thread.

I, like it seems most here, have never heard of the product you are using or used a "Cleaning Wax" vs the traditional clay bar method. Sorry for our collective airhead nature and trying to invoke better understanding and topic discussion by asking or calling out what we thought was an important step in the detailing process.

I will subscribe to this thread for future reference and give it your method and products a try if/when I have a swirl mark issue. Thanks for taking your time to post the process in the original post.

Thanks,
EpicLR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72